How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Ed Wilfong Your Own Question
Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1528
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Ed Wilfong is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My adult son has come home to live with me after a divorce. He is unemployed, has no heal

Resolved Question:

My adult son has come home to live with me after a divorce. He is unemployed, has no health insurance, and has terrible trouble sleeping (this is a longstanding problem). Even though he's supposed to be paying child support, since his ex and kids live in another country, there is no real enforcement of this. I myself am a widow for almost 14 years, and also lost another son to illness over 2 years ago. This is so painful for me. Any suggestions I make to him, he answers with a reason why it won't work..

Do you have any ideas, short of throwing him out??
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Not a great idea, but most counties have very low cost Community Mental Health clinics. Long waiting lists. If you are near a Medical School or University with Ph.D. programs in psychology, they usually have low or no cost training programs. Short of throwing him out, he is living in your home and you can set conditions for him to stay, such as getting some help. Still, if you make it a condition of staying with you, you have to be willing to follow through or don't bother. Whether he is interested in therapy or not, an evaluation won't kill him and is a small concession for free room and board. He sounds depressed or irresponsible. Hard to tell which. If latter, throwing him out may be only option, sad as it is. You are not doing him any favors by allowing him to stay that way.

Dr. Ed Wilfong and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you