How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5838
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I havebeen going to a med-clinic for many months. i have

Resolved Question:

I havebeen going to a med-clinic for many months. i have suffered depresson since i was five. i have been on prozac for over 25 years. it does not help me and i have requested a change from the doctor at the clinic.she totally refuses to listen to me and i get very upset when i leave there. i have tried to have a disgussion one on one with her but she dislikes me very much. i don't understand why i am not treated with respect like everyone else at the clinic, as we are all in the room at the same time. the doctor is 35 yrs old and i think she is very unproffessional.i contacted the doctor in charge but they deny my request for another opinion.i can't find another doctor around here for me. i would like to know what is in my files to understand why i am treated so poorly.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I believe I just talked with you earlier. I hope it's ok that I help you again.

This doctor sounds like she is bringing her personal attitude into her practice, which is not right. She should be there for the patients only. She is not there to make a judgment or to treat one patient different than another.

Is there a way you can contact the patient advocate? It sounds like having an advocate in a situation like this would be very helpful. The advocate can intervene and be sure you are getting the care you need.

Also, if the doctor in charge is denying you access to a second opinion, then you can file a grievance or even seek legal representation. A grievance will help your case be heard by others outside of the situation where it can be decided if it is fair or not. That does not guarantee that the outcome is something you feel is fair, though. In that case, you may want the advocate to go with you or legal representation. All patients have rights so unless the doctor can provide a very good reason why you should not be allowed access to another doctor, then they must allow you to have a second opinion.

Whether or not they have recorded this issue in your file is not clear. In cases I have worked with, a situation like this may be noted in detail or just a sentence. It depends on the value the center is placing on the situation.

You would find better answers through a grievance, advocate or legal assistance. They could also help you access your file. Try the United Way in your area to get the information you need. There should be low cost legal advice available through neighborhood legal services or pro bono lawyers. The advocate should be free.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I am glad to help.


TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you