How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Luann Your Own Question
Luann, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 158
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Luann is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 21 year old college student who has always had ADHD

Resolved Question:

Hi, I am a 21 year old college student who has always had ADHD symptoms throughout my life as far back as I can remember, and until recently have decided to seek help for symptoms. I have tried natural ways to combat my terrible working memory, my impulsiveness, and ability to work for hours on things and not get anything accomplished, however those have not worked. I have also checked for non medical ways such as schedules, making notes, and carrying a planner for my day, and although this helps with my schedule, it does not help my complete inability to focus. It has been increasingly evident in my life that my struggles with this are making a negative impact on my life such as being a "C" student and barely getting by in class, even though I go to study sessions, and have a tutor. I have also moved back home with my parents because living on my own gave me too many options, making me do worse in school and my job. The advice I am seeking on this website is that if I went to psychiatrist do you think they would try a treatment of some kind even though I am an adult/ in college and adderall use is pretty much abused in the academic setting? My girlfriend was diagnosed at a very young age and takes them as needed, prescribed by her psychiatrist. She saw how anxious and low I felt because of always working hard and getting sub par grades, and suggested I try one of hers. I realize if you aren't prescribed a medication you should not take it but since I do not have an addictive personality, and I am quite healthy, (and at the end of my rope) I said why not. Once I had it in the morning there was no constant fidgeting, no cloud inside my head, no impulsiveness, and just calm that I really never feel. There was no 'high' or euphoric feeling that people abuse it for, which is why (in my completely non-qualified opinion) that is worked how it was intended. It was pretty much one of the best days I can remember. If I told my psychiatrist this would he look down upon me however? I never take drugs and using them to me is just something I do not do, but what would you suggest I do in this situation? Thank you for your time!
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 6 years ago.
Luann :


Luann :

I am very impressed with your efforts to manage your symptoms and your desire to get the right kind of help.

Luann :

Basically you are asking if it is worth seeing a psychiatrist? Yes it is, but first you should see a psychologist for an ADHD evaluation. An evaluation should look at several factors that could be causing your symptoms and will give you more information on the type of ADHD you may have. It will also give direction to a psychiatrist on the type of medication that may be helpful to you. In addition you should receive recommendations on additional services that may be helpful.

Customer: I spoke to a neurologist that has me undergo an MRI EEG and blood tests, but ignored my symptoms and sort of shuffles me
Customer: *Out of the office, he said he believed I had ADHD, however, said I should see a psychiatrist. I just want to feel normal like when my girlfriend tried to help me with one of her instant release ones. Cause honestly I have exhausted every other option aside from medication.
Luann :

Most psychiatrists are going to want psychological testing to confirm the diagnosis. A psychiatrist does not do this testing so it would be most efficient for you to schedule testing with a psychologist. If there is a mental health center near you they may have someone available to do the testing and have a psychiatrist available to prescribe medication.


Thanks for your expert opinion I will do that!

Luann and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you