TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

What is the best dosage of prozac for panic attacks?

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

The best dosage for an adult taking Prozac for anxiety or panic attacks is 20 mg. in the morning. This is based on clinical trials with this drug. This is a good starting dosage.

Because every person's body chemistry is different, it is a good idea to work closely with your doctor to find the right dosage for you. If 20 mg. does not work for you, the next level up is 20 mg BID. What that means is you take 20 mg of the medication twice a day. You can increase your dosage up to 80 mg a day if necessary, although that is not often recommended since long term use of Prozac is not beneficial.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your answer. Today is the first day of my forth week of 20mg. I was feeling fine finally but yesterday had a little bit of something like a very beginning of a panic attack. I can't even call it a panic, it was just like a little heavy, fast breathing. I took 0.25mg xanax and it went away. @ days ago had the same thing. But before that was fine for like 10 days. is this means i need bigger dosage, or the medicine is still adjasting to me. I know it takes 4 to 6 weeks to see a full effect. Thanks.

You're welcome! It is a good idea to wait 4 to 6 weeks to see how you do react. That is the only way to tell if the medication will help you.

My best to you,

Kate

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks so much.
You are welcome! Take care.