How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5823
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does my child need to see a psycologist or a phyciatrist?

Resolved Question:

Does my child need to see a psycologist or a phyciatrist?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 6 years ago.

Your daughter can see either. Here is a break down of what the different mental health professionals are:

Psychiatrist- a medical doctor who specializes in psychiatrist medication. They can do evaluations and therapy, but their main function is medication.

Psychologist- a therapist with a Doctorate degree. They cannot prescribe medication. They do evaluations and also therapy.

Master's Degree- a therapist with an M.A., M. Ed, MSW or LSW. They can do an evaluation and also treat with therapy. They cannot prescribe medication.

Any of these professionals can evaluate your daughter but to treat her for therapy I would recommend a psychologist or a Master's level therapist. If she needs medication, then a psychiatrist can be part of her treatment team.


TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you