How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5838
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is 20years old. Married with one child. Not sure

Resolved Question:

My daughter is 20years old. Married with one child. Not sure what help she needs. She has these moments of throwings tantrums, lies, believes she is always right, attempting suicide, steals and when confronted goes totally ballistic. She has had a pretty rough childhood, my husband and i got divorced but remarried. I have two other kids aged 18 and 12 but stable. Her husband is very concerned because in the two year marriage he behaviour seems to be getting worst. She talks non stop and he mood swings are extreme highs and lows. I am a desperate worried mom. Just this weekend i caught her stealing and when i confronte her she wnt off the deep end. Threaten to kill herself with a knife and overdose, but i manage to stop her, but it became violent and she smacked me. Please give me advise where to start?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like your daughter may either have Bipolar disorder and/or a personality disorder such as borderline or anti social.

Your daughter needs a complete evaluation from a therapist. To find a therapist, you can ask your doctor or she can ask her doctor for a referral. She can also search on line at

If your daughter continues to have outbursts and becomes physically violent, you can contact the police or take her to the local emergency room/hospital. They may be able to do an evaluation to see if she needs admitted. Anytime someone threatens to hurt themselves or someone else, they need evaluated by a professional to determine if they are really a threat. If your daughter was admitted, she could receive treatment right away which will help her recover.

You can also try self help at home to determine how you can help your daughter. Here are some resources to help you figure out what might be going on with her:

Hidden Victims Hidden Healers: An Eight-Stage Healing Process For Families And Friends Of The Mentally Ill by Julie Tallard Johnson

Helping Someone with Mental Illness: A Compassionate Guide for Family, Friends, and Caregivers by Rosalynn Carter and Susan Golant M.A.

You can find these books on or your local library may have them for you.

Once you can find out what is going on with your daughter, it will be easier to focus on how to help her get better. Also, it will help your family know how to respond.

I hope this helps you,

TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you