How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5806
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you please tell me what type of services an organization

This answer was rated:

Can you please tell me what type of services an organization can offer to a mother with 3 young children who the mother is being verbally abused by her boyfriend and wants to leave him. She has no money, no job. She can stay with me and her father but I will not be able to support them financially at this time, not for very long. My daughter has tried to contact an organization in phoenix az but she is getting no response. We want to know if any place will help her if she stays with her father and I.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.


Your daughter can get help through the local community mental health center. They provide low cost counseling on a sliding fee scale. They will help your daughter with therapy, psychiatric services and help her find financial assistance, including housing. If you cannot find the number try the the United Way. They will be able to provide the information to you.


I also located some local services that may help. Here are some you can try:


There are also many on line resources that can help her as well. Here are some links to help:


Healing the Scars of Emotional Abuse by Ann McMurray and Gregory L. Ph.D. Ph.D. Jantz


The Emotionally Abused Woman : Overcoming Destructive Patterns and Reclaiming Yourself by Beverly Engel


Verbal Abuse Survivors Speak Out; On relationship and recovery by XXXXX XXXXX


These books can be found on or your local library may have them for you.


Verbal abuse is difficult to cope with because there are no outside scars. All the pain is on the inside. And your daughter is not the only one being hurt by this. Her children are also absorbing what is happening and may repeat the pattern when they start their own relationships.


Trying to leave a relationship that is abusive is hard. Many victims believe that they either deserve the abuse or they cannot live without the person they are with. They feel lost and alone. That is the nature of verbal abuse. To make the victim feel they have no worth and to take away their independence. Your daughter does have you and your husband so that can make a big difference in her situation.


Counseling and recovery is the most important component to helping your daughter and her children. She needs support and guidance on how to overcome the damage done by the abuse. Many of the links above can help her find resources for housing, counseling, group counseling and support for her children.


Let me know if I can help any further,


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you know if any place will help my daughter if she comes to stay with me? She will not need to stay in a shelter so I do not know if they will provide her help if she is not staying in their shelter. She has no money of her own, has no job, she has no insurance at this time to get any counceling for her or her 3 children. I can give them a place to stay but It will be very difficult financially for me to take care of all of us. I will do it but if she can get help it will help her

The community mental health facility should be able to help her find insurance of some sort. They may also have job training or other links to case managers who could support her search for employment or other income. The other resources will also have ideas about how she can support herself.


I don't know of any resources that will pay your daughter to live with you. But she may be able to get child support from the children's father. She may also be able to find a part time job to help with the income in your home.


It is common that women coming out of domestic abuse situations to have little to no income so this will be a commonly addressed question to counselors and in the resources I gave you.


Also, try the United Way. They are a storehouse for all resources in your area. They will know all the job and financial income sources in your community.



TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions