Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
50717502

My son and daughter-in-law are near divorce due to parenting

My son and daughter-in-law are near divorce due to parenting style differences. She is ultra strict and feels she does not have her husbands support. The children are 18, 15 and 13. They have decided to go to counseling as one last attempt to save their marriage. How do they find a good, reputable counselor in the San Jose, CA area?
Brad The Therapist :

Thank you for your question. The first person I typically recommend is to ask their primary doctor of a referral for a[ marriage counselor. If not, Psychology today has a section for therapist in your area. What I suggest is to schedule an appointment, and ask many questions about the therapy process. A good therapist will explain informed consent, confidentiality, and one's style of therapy. After the first session, if your son and daughter-in-law feel good about the therapist, they should continue with the sessions. If they feel ambivalent, they can try another therapist.

Brad The Therapist :

Here is the website: http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/

Brad The Therapist :

Another resource for a couple's therapist is through the California Association for marriage and family therapist.

Customer:

Do you recommend they go alone at first or with the children?

Brad The Therapist :

They should go as a couple, first. After this meeting, the therapist may recommend bringing the children, if needed.

Customer:

thank you!