How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. G. Your Own Question
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1492
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need an OCD intensive treatment centre in the Twin Cities;

Customer Question

I need an OCD intensive treatment centre in the Twin Cities; in patient or intensive out-patient for my friend. Or a referral to a practitioner either MD or PHD who can do CBT with a tough patient and ritual prevention. The patient is a 75 year old male former physician.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 5 years ago.
These are the inpatient facilities in the twin cities.

Fairview - University Medical Center
University Campus

2312 S 6th St
Minneapolis, MNNNN-NN-NNNNbr/> Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>
Regions Hospital
Behavioral Health

Saint Paul, MNNNN-NN-NNNNbr/> Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>
St. Joseph's Hospital
Mental Health & Addiction Services

45 West 10th Street
Saint Paul, MNNNN-NN-NNNNbr/> Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNExtn.3256
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello, Dr. Guilmino;

Thanks for your answer. I was aware of these in general. What I need is a specific Twin Cities center that will be able to manage a very seriously ill OCD patient, that may have a specialist in-patient program, or to a psychiatrist who could do CBT. He also needs drug management, so an MD might be better, although a MD who can work with a PHD psychologist doing CBT for OCD might also work. This is a tough search, so I will understand if you don't have the answer.

Many thanks for making the effort.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 5 years ago.
Most clinicians should be using CBT in their work because it is a highly effective treatment. because you asked for inpatient that is what I provided. However, I think having your friend see a psychologist who does CBT work, in conjunction with medication management with a psychiatrist, would be the best form of treatment. You can call local mental health agencies and see if they have psychologists who use CBT and work with OCD. go this route first and then the therapist can direct your friend to a physician for meds.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, we are aware of that process, which is what is being used in PA. The level of care there is less than optimal. We have family in MN and can move there if we can pinpoint the right person. I asked you in order to avoid calling all the mental health agencies.

So, in other words, you don't have a specific referral for me?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 5 years ago.
Yes I do. Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN has an excellent psychiatry/mental health department. Here is the contact number. They should be able to help you. Good luck.

For appointments, call 507-538-3270, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Central time, Monday through Thursday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday.
Dr. G. and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. XXXXX was hoping for some person or place closer to the Twin Cities.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 5 years ago.
You wanted the best place around so there you have it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer. I need the practitioner to read the request carefully and answer it specifically, not generally.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I have already researched the general information this expert gave me. I really need a more specific referral to a Twin Cities OCD expert practitioner as well as to an in- patient centre which specializes in OCD. They don't necessarily have to be at the same site. I hope you can help.