Doctor Kevin
Doctor Kevin, Ph.D.
Experience:  25 years in private practice
16903060

I have been dealing with anxiety for 5 years now, i have

I have been dealing with anxiety for 5 years now, i have been on zoloft for most of those years but nothing helps with the manic of wanting a way out feeling, can you help?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Kevin replied 6 years ago.
Dr.Kappler :

The Zoloft only helps smooth the edges of the anxiety. You need more perminate ways to deal with these feelings. Be careful of using a medication because it like alcohol will be addicting and still leave you anxious. Try some meditation, stretching, tai-chi and herb tea to relax you. Also write down anything that makes you anxious and see if there is a real way to deal with the cause instead of mask the feelings.

Customer:

this kind of mental stuff runs in my family

Customer:

freeways and feeling of needed a way out

Customer:

i cant drive far without going into a panic.

Dr.Kappler :

So the point is to start small. Drive short distances and stop to calm down. Bring a friend along. It is a little like riding a horse and getting thrown. You have to get back on the horse and conquer your fear before it turns into panic

Customer:

easier said then done, i just hate it so much.

Dr.Kappler :

I have lived with a panic disorder for 20 years and yes it is scary to drive. But the show must go on and you will find that a little bit of will power goes a long way

Customer:

would you recommend something other then zoloft or xanax to help ease the panic on the freeways when a exiting is not an option?

Dr.Kappler :

I have found that both medications leave your senses dulled. My best option is to leave the pill on the seat beside you and say "If it really gets bad I am going to take it."

Customer:

thats how I am

Customer:

its like a blanket

Customer:

i feel your not really helping me dig into why i have this condition. i have been through alot in my childhood and teen years, and you dont seem to want to get an idea of who i am or understand this frustration i deal with, i literally annoy myself with this mental disorder. i would love to go far places with out the worry, without freaking out...... i wish to have peace of mind.

Dr.Kappler :

There is no known cause for panic attacks so

Customer:

im not a looking for pills like a addict. i just want something that works, that helps calm my mind.

Customer:

i know there isnt...

Dr.Kappler :

I cant help you beyond that. There is no medication that will calm your mind.