Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
45897396

I'm a 25 year old girl with anxiety disorder. It mainly

I'm a 25 year old girl with anxiety disorder. It mainly shows during conflict with my boyfriend. We have a very good relationship overall, but about once a month we'll have a small argument escalate into a huge fight. First I can't calm down/let the issue it go, then I get anxious and start pacing & I repeat myself, and then he yells. I totally break down if he yells or raises his voice to me. I literally fall to the floor and lose my control. It's like I truly can't calm down and at that point, and sadly, neither can he.
My doctor prescribed me Celexa and Xanex to help me control my emotions. I have started taking the Xanex as needed, but sometimes it's not enough. I'm worried to take Celexa because antidepressants are serious medications. I'm also worried about weight gain. I am very concerned with my weight and would have EXTREME anxiety if the pill caused a weight gain.
I feel so confused about what the best option for me is :-(
Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the difficulties that you and your boyfriend experience. Whereas medication might help calm you it will do NOTHING to help you to get at the root of this problem and help you learn firstly, the source of why you handle yourself this way and secondly, help you to work this through so that you don't have to spend your life popping a pill to avoid this reaction.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I see that you have already tried therapy. Not all therapies produce the same results. Only psychodynamic/psychoanalytic psychotherapy gets to the source of the problem and permanently works it through.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

See what is said about the latest research on PsychodynamicTreatment.

"The Efficacy of Psychodynamic Psychotherapy"

Jonathan Shedler, PhD

"Empirical evidence supports the efficacy of psychodynamic psychotherapy. Effect sizes for psychodynamic psychotherapy are as large as those reported for other therapies that have been actively promoted as “empirically supported” and “evidence based.” Additionally, patients who receive psychodynamic therapy maintain therapeutic gains and appear to continue to improve after treatment ends."

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I see you are offline now. I'll pause here and await your response. If you give me your city, state and zip code I will help you find someone in your area. Also, when you respond back we can continue with this chat.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Oh hi, I see you are back online -- great!

Customer:

Hello!

Customer:

Yes, I've tried therapy but the strategies never seem to pan out when I'm in that "zone"

Customer:

I live in Wallingford, CT 06492

Customer:

hello?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I know but you need to be in therapy that can help you. That's the problem with most therapies -- they give you strategies. Psychoanalytic Therapy does not give you ANY strategies. It helps you get to the source of why this happens to you and helps you WORK IT THROUGH so that it never happens again.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Let me go look for someone. I'll be right back.

Customer:

Ok, thank you :-)

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Lynn Whisnant Reiser
P O Box 187039
Hamden, CT###-##-####
(203)(###) ###-####

Nancy Olson
5 Brookside Dr
Hamden, CT###-##-####
(203)(###) ###-####/td>
Customer:

Thank you. And those would be therapists that specialize in this sort of anxiety?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

These two people are members of the American Psychoanalytic. All people who are eligible to become members of the American Psychoanalytic are qualified to help you. If you cannot afford a full fee, ask them to provide someone who is in training(They are very well supervised by senior supervising members) so that you can see someone for a low fee if need be. Those in Training still have more training than if you choose a therapist who is not a member.
Anyone with a membership at the American Psychoanalytic, has, as I have said, the right kind of training to dig deep into your unconscious and help you work through your unconscious conflicts that create this problem for you.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Yes.

Customer:

Are these doctors ever covered by insurance?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your questions, please click on ACCEPT and leave feedback. Bonuses are always appreciated. Also, if you think of more questions later you can always continue with our chat even if you have already clicked on Accept.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

They usually never provide the insurance that they cover. So here is what you do. ASK FIRST. Then, if they don't carry your insurance ask them if they know anyone who does. I'll tell you what, let me look for more names so that you have a bigger pool to ask from and will more likely find someone who takes your insurance.

Customer:

thanks you very much--i know i' never be able to afford someone out-of-network!

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Debra Boltas
66 Trumbull St
New Haven, CT###-##-####
(203)(###) ###-####
Barbara L. Mason
234 Church St Ste 300
New Haven, CT###-##-####
(203)(###) ###-####
Jocelyn S. Malkin
100 Temple St Apt PH9
New Haven, CT###-##-####
(203)(###) ###-####
Sybil Houlding
129 Church St Ste 308
Colonial Bldg
New Haven, CT###-##-####
(203)(###) ###-####
Sidney Blatt
81 Deer Run Rd
Woodbridge, CT 06525
(203)(###) ###-####
Elizabeth Brett
15 Woodland Dr
Woodbridge, CT###-##-####
(203)(###) ###-####
Neayka Sahay
Analyst in Training
102 Melba St
Milford, CT###-##-####
(203)(###) ###-####
M. Jean Hurwitz
Analyst in Training
660 Prospect Ave
Hartford, CT###-##-####
(860)(###) ###-####
Dr. Shirley Schaye :

So ask each one you call. Also, see what I wrote above about Analysts in Training. They see people at low cost and have more training than anyone who is not eligible to be a member of the American.

Customer:

Ok, excellent. So they are just a qualified in many ways?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Yes and also they have individual supervision by a Training Analyst.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I have to see a patient now but will be right back when I am finished to see if you have entered anything else that you wish me to respond to.

Customer:

Thank you very much

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

You are most welcome! You won't be sorry. Don't forget to click on Accept.

Customer:

Ok, thank you!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I know you're offline, but the only other question I had was the idea of taking Celexa. I'm worried about side effects & being dependant on pills, but I don't know if it's something I need in addition to therapy. Let me know your thoughts when you get a chance :-)
I would try therapy first without medication. The medication is just a patch. Stay with the kind of therapy, I suggested. See how that goes. There's always a possibility of adding medication later on. Just so you know, Celexa can cause weight gain, not necessarily, though.