mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
6848745

Does a very strong tendency toward being antagonistic for the

Does a very strong tendency toward being antagonistic for the pure pleasure of creating intense discomfort in others indicate a personality disorder?

mindhealer :

Good morning. I'm online and would be happy to help you. Just let me know when you are back in the room and we can discuss this further

mindhealer :

Hello. Thank you for joining me in the room. May I ask are you asking this question about your son?

Customer:

How did you guess?

mindhealer :

Just extrapolated it from your question

mindhealer :

He's 15 years old?

Customer:

Yes. I'm seriously worried about him. He has ADHD and Impulsivity disorder, as well as ADD..... but I'm wondering if there is also a personality disorder.

Customer:

I meant to say as well as ODD

mindhealer :

I can sincerely XXXXX XXXXX concern. Does he engage in any other behaviors besides the one's you mentioned such as after causing someone harm does he seem to exhibit any type of remorse?

Customer:

He does... we have had several police incidents. Both myself and my daughter have been assaulted. Yesterday he said that he was so frustrated at not being able to make me think as he does, that he wanted to knife me and kill me.

Customer:

He does say he is sorry at times, but the behaviours continue.

mindhealer :

Im so sorry to hear that. I really am. When you say "he does" does that mean he does show remorse?

Customer:

I'm not sure if it is remorse, or manipulation.

mindhealer :

understood

mindhealer :

Can you think of any other symptoms he's exhibiting?

Customer:

I truly believe that his father has NPD.... it makes me fearful that this antagonistic side to his nature is part of something more serious than ADHD.

Customer:

He has been smoking marijuana, which people tell me should create a calmer state of mind, but after he has been smoking it he becomes combatant.

Customer:

He also lies a great deal.

mindhealer :

the smoking of the marijuana and the resulting agression is actually more along the lines with the ADHD which is why it actually has the opposite effect. However, has he demonstrated any harn toward animals?

mindhealer :

or disregard if something happens to another person or if they are harmed because of him

Customer:

He seems not to have any boundaries and regularly goes through my personal things. He forces his way into my bedroom by pressing a bent coat hanger. Yes. I recently re-homed our dacshund because he was purposely trying to scare it. One day he came downstairs with a large bottle of urine which he said he was going to pour on the puppy.

mindhealer :

thank you for your honesty and direct nature in your response. It definitely sounds as though this is a personalityy disorder and more specificallu it sounds like Anti Social Personality Disorder

Customer:

He does not seem to feel sorry when he harms me. Recently he got hold of an RX which I filled for him. I told him that I needed to control the meds. He was furious.

mindhealer :

I really am sorry to say this...but all signs are pointing to anti social personality disorder

Customer:

I was afraid you might say that... I kind of suspected that he was going the way of his father. Now what if anything can help? I had heard that his personality will be solidified by the time he is 18.

mindhealer :

It's true that if no interventions are taken that it will be solidified by that age. Has he ever been hospitalzed psychiatrically??

Customer:

He has agreed to a psychiatric evaluation, but the unfortunate part is that it takes several months on a waiting list.

Customer:

No, he hasn't.

mindhealer :

I understand. but he's been threatening you as of late, correct?

Customer:

I don't know how seriously to take it. He seemed to think better of his actions and later apologized.

Customer:

It is very hard to get a pychiatric evaluation unless it is consentual, but he has agreed to it with the help of Social Services, Youth & Mental Health Services. I asked the police when they last attended if he could be taken to emergency and evaluated, but there are very specific guidelines they have to follow.

mindhealer :

understood...but that could warrant an inpatient hospitalization that would get him an immediate evaluation and work toward getting him stable under the care of a psychiatrist. Medications don't really touch personality disorders but it may be beneficial to look at his medications for the impulsivity will help with the agressive behavior

Customer:

I have been in touch with the police following the last incident because my son left his facebook page open and I discovered some very disturbing conversations. He has been dealing out his Vyvanse for money... it made me think that he wasn't taking his meds anyway. He also revealed that he found my hiding place for the meds, so I removed them from the house.... but you think I should give him the meds anyway?

Customer:

Perhaps I should let the police know what he said to me, just in case.

mindhealer :

In all honesty I do....especially the one's for the impulsivity

mindhealer :

as that would be the most effective for him....I would also suggest taking him to his GP and inquire further about medications such as Risperodal or Zyprexa (small doeses) which will definitely help with etha agressive and threating behaviors

Customer:

He seems to need the Vyvanse in divided doses because he metabolizes them quickly. Then he is supposed to take a mood stabilizer, because he literally crashes after the Vyvanse (becoming worse in his behaviour).

Customer:

What kind of side-effects do they have?

mindhealer :

some weight gain...but mostly in adults, sedation at first until his body adjusts to the medicine within the first 2 weeks or so.

Customer:

Hmmm... it's good to know about this now, while school is out. It would give him time to adjust. The question is - would he take it or not. He went off his meds before because he "didn't feel like himself". So often you hear of people with mental illnesses resisting taking their meds.

mindhealer :

I would also encourage you to continure to administer his medications to ensure both complianceand that he's taking them by doing mouth checks. Does that help to clarify your question further?

Customer:

Yes. You have confirmed my worst suspicions. Tell me - in discovering it earlier, is there good reason to hope that the ASPD could be arrested?

Customer:

If I give him the meds I should check his mouth before giving him the water, right?

mindhealer :

There is a possibility that it can be better controlled then finding it later. The best approach to treatment would be concentrate his therapy on managing the impulses abd agitation

mindhealer :

Most definitely!!

mindhealer :

and make him lift his tongue and check his cheeks

Customer:

Oh that will definitely be a challenge!

mindhealer :

Can I help answer any further questions for you?

Customer:

I was thinking to put keyed entrances on all the bedroom doors (except for him)... do you think that is a good idea, or will it create more problems?

mindhealer :

challenge yes but not impossible. You can always tell him he has a choice of taking the medications or going innpatient....my impression is he will take the medications

mindhealer :

it may cause problems at first but he'll get over it and you have to do what is necessary to be safe

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX will get right on your suggestions.

mindhealer :

You are most welcome. It's my pleasure to help you. You can end the chat by clicking ACCEPT button and I truly wish you and your son the very best

Customer:

Thanks!