mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
6848745

My son is showing physical sympoms that he thinks means God

My son is showing physical sympoms that he thinks means God does not want him to do certain things. His world is becoming smaller and smaller and he had to stop working. Do you think my son is on the brink of a medical breakdown? What can I do to help him? I am very concerned.
mindhealer :

Good morning. I'm online and would be happy to help you. Let me know when you are back in the chatroom and we can discuss this further. Thanks for the chance to help

mindhealer :

good morning

mindhealer :

Would you mind if I asked a few questions to gain a better understanding?

Customer:

Thanks for your offer of help. What do you think is happening to my son and how can you help him to get better?

mindhealer :

May i ask his age?

Customer:

He is 25 years old

mindhealer :

Thank you. When did he start to present with the symptoms you've mentioned?

Customer:

He started about four months ago.

mindhealer :

thanks. Can you describe further the symptoms that he attributes to God?

Customer:

He is supposed to be applying for a pharmacy pre -reg placement after completing his Pharmacy degree and when he attempts to type in a request to access the pre-reg website, his hands and body vibrates and freezes up. He is unable to do the task. He is unable to visit any web site to apply for a job or a pre-reg placement place because of the spasm in his muscles.

mindhealer :

Does he say that he hears God speak to him?

Customer:

Yes, he is insisting that it is the voice of God and any attempt made to make him think otherwise meets with strong resistance.

mindhealer :

thank you

mindhealer :

Do you know if your son does any drugs?

Customer:

He does not do any drugs apart from presciption drugs for the stomach and back problems that he has complained about for more than a year. The doctors have done series of tests but have not found any problem.

mindhealer :

ok thank you

mindhealer :

Is there any history of mental illness in your family?

mindhealer :

that you're aware of

Customer:

There is no history of mental illness in the family.

mindhealer :

thank you

mindhealer :

there are two potential explanations. The first is that he's exhibiting signs of late onset of schizophrenia and would need to see a psychiatrist

mindhealer :

The second would be a viral infection such as meningitis or encephalitis which could present with psychotic symptoms that your son is experiencing...though his having either of these would be rare

mindhealer :

My suggestion would be to take him to his GP for a complete physical and blood work to rule out any medical conditions and from there get a referral to see a psychiatrist to confirm or disconfirm the diagnosis. If it is in fact a mental health condition as I mentioned above he would certainly need to be started on medications.

mindhealer :

Is he having any other symptoms besides the ones you mentioned? such as feeling paranoid, people watching him or conspiring to harm him?

Customer:

No, he is not displaying any of thse symptoms.

mindhealer :

ok.

mindhealer :

I would still suggest taking him to his GP for a physical and blood work and then a referral to a psychiatrist

mindhealer :

do you have any further questions that you would like me to help you with?

Customer:

I have no further questions for now. Thanks.

mindhealer :

certainly. Did I answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

Yes you did, thanks.

mindhealer :

you're most welcome. You can end the chat by clicking the ACCEPT button. I wish you and your son the very best.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your offer of help. My son is getting better. I will lke to discontinue the monthly subscription for your services.

Thanks

I'm really happy to hear that he's doing better. You can contact customer service to discontinue your subscription. As always I wish you and your family the very best.