Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My daughter age 22 has been caught keeping bowel movements

Customer Question
and even shapes them in...
My daughter age 22 has been caught keeping bowel movements and even shapes them in a ball like clay. She has adhd and bi-polar. This is very disturbing to us
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mental Health
7/23/2011
Mental Health Professional: DrRussMd, Doctor replied 6 years ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Doctor
Hello
understandably.
However this might represent an element of another illness
What type of doc takes care of here meds?
She goes to a psychiatrist for her meds. Concerta, celxa and serouquel.
Mental Health Professional: AgapeDoc, Psychologist replied 6 years ago
AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Sorry that it has taken someone so long to get back to you... let me see if I can help here....
Yes, this is very troubling. It's not unheard of however and as was mentioned, it could be an indicator of another illness. As I understand it, she keeps these and doesn't flush them??
Does she ever smear them on the walls?
In either event, this is something to share with her psychiatrist. He will be able to give you an additional diagnosis if it is warranted and adjust the meds if necessary.
I hope I have helped, if you have additional questions please go ahead and post them.
To respond to you answer, she does sometimes smear them on the walls and we also find urine in containers in her room. She has no answer for us when we ask her why she does it.
OK.... this may be indicative of (possibly) encopresis.
In adults the treatment is "not direct" as it were. That is to say that in adults treatment for this is best done by addressing the more prevalent "disorder" It is definitely not going to be easy - the research indicates that it will be challenging.
The best way is to address her primary issues (ADHD and Bi-polar) and with any "luck" the bowel issues may start to subside.
I guess the good news is that it is in all likelihood a behavior byproduct of her primary issue as it were.
Of course it is very upsetting and unsanitary - I still want to remind you to bring this to the attention to her psychiatrist as this will be very important.
I hope I have helped and answered your question to your satisfaction :)
AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist