AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience:  Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.
55589990

Are there meds for DID? I'm going crazy with the switching

Are there meds for DID? I'm going crazy with the switching personalities.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  AgapeDoc replied 6 years ago.
AgapeDoc :

Thanks for contacting Just Answer - I appreciate the opportunity to serve...

AgapeDoc :

I am so sorry to hear that you are dealing with this issue and I would like to tell you that there will be an easy answer to solve your dilemma. However, there is not an easy answer or a simple pill to make things more normal for you.

AgapeDoc :

Having said that.... help is available. I am very limited here in terms of providing the interventions, but I can answer your question completely and hopefully to your satisfaction.

AgapeDoc :

This is what will get you some relief. You must consult with a psychiatrist and explain your situation. There are some medications that can help, but your psychiatrist will need to interview you before writing the prescription. I would also suggest that you start psychotherapy - often times psychiatrists don't conduct psychotherapy, but your can likely suggest a good psychotherapist for you to start with.

AgapeDoc :

So.... I'm sorry that you are dealing with this and in all likelihood you have had to deal with trauma previously. However, help is indeed available - it won't be easy, but you are a survivor and as challenging as the road to recover may be, it will be worth it.

AgapeDoc :

Thanks again for contacting Just Answer, I was happy to serve and answer your question.

Customer:

I have both a psychiatrist and a therapist working with me. Unfortunately, the psychiatrist doesn't believe the DID diagnosis, so she's not really on board with the whole idea. The therapist is very much in support of it, though, so that's good. I just wish there was an easier way of dealing with this than what I'm doing currently.

AgapeDoc :

OK... I'm confused. Your question was "Are there meds for DID?" It seems that you are already doing what I suggested and there might be a different question. Is that the case?

Customer:

I just wanted to know if there were specific meds to help the DID symptoms. You did answer my question, so I thank you. I am doing what you suggested as far as treatment goes

AgapeDoc :

There are meds to help with the DID symptoms, but it would be useless to discuss them on this site. This is a conversation to have with your psychiatrist. By the way.... you mentioned that you are not happy with the psychiatrist you are seeing. Why not switch?

Customer:

and, yes, there is quite a bit of trauma in my background

Customer:

I'm considering switching, actually. Just haven't gotten up the nerve yet

AgapeDoc :

I mentioned that as anyone I have worked with (as well as all the scientific literature) supports this to be the case with people who are suffering with DID

Customer:

I'll discuss the meds with my psychiatrist and see if there's anything that she recommends to help

AgapeDoc :

Your therapist can help with building up your nerve to switch. Actually the psychiatrist should support you as well.... the patient's well being should always come first :)

Customer:

ok, I appreciate the encouragement.

AgapeDoc :

OK.... I wish you much success - remember you are a survivor!

Customer:

thanks