Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am 29 y/o male, Irish, living in Australia for the past 2

Customer Question
Hi. I am 29 y/o...
Hi. I am 29 y/o male, Irish, living in Australia for the past 2 years. I live with my girlfriend and we are generally happy. I sometimes get homesick and would like to be back in Ireland, but current economic climate means I am staying in australia to work. I work full time here. Also my girlfriend does not want to go back as she has full time work here too. I would go home tomorrow if she came with me.
For the past three weeks I am having bouts of lows. When i am with other people I am fine. When I am on my own I get flashes in my head, where I am hurting people - kicking or punching them. They are not peeple I know, just strangers. After I get a flash, I try to push this out of my head. When its not there, I am still thinking about it and worried that it might come back.
I have no history of voilence or fighting so I dont know where this is coming from. I am not on any medication, I was previously taking Voltaren for gout, but have not taken these in 4 months. The only other thing i can think of is I feel and hit my head about 4 weeks ago.
Do you have any idea what this might be, or who I should go to see?
Thanks a advance.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mental Health
7/22/2011
Mental Health Professional: AgapeDoc, Psychologist replied 6 years ago
AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
AgapeDoc :

Thanks for contacting me at Just Answer and the opportunity to serve...

AgapeDoc :

Let me see if I can help here....

AgapeDoc :

You did the right thing to reach out and ask these questions and I think I can help :)

AgapeDoc :

The ABSOLUTE very FIRST thing you must do is see an licensed physician (an MD) and tell him/her about your head injury and what's been happening since then with these "flashes".

AgapeDoc :

It may not be related, but you MUST rule this out.

AgapeDoc :

It would be curious if the head injury was the issue since it only happens when you are alone, but nonetheless have it checked out first.

AgapeDoc :

Now, otherwise it could be that you are developing a little very minor issue and I don't think you have much to worry about frankly. That's not to say that it shouldn't be addressed - it should :)

AgapeDoc :

If this is not caused from the head injury, it could be that you are developing some minor emotional issues. This could be due to many factors (such as you mentioned being away from home, the economic climate, or a combination of several small factors).

AgapeDoc :

What you have presented is a little like some minor obsessive compulsive issues. I don't know how much you know about obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) but most people aren't aware so I'll give you some information here....

AgapeDoc :

There are many people in all cultures (especially the west) who have some sort of minor obsessive compulsive issues. It's IMPORTANT to point out that it doesn't always rise to the level that it would be called a disorder. Such as it is in what you have presented here. It only becomes a disorder when it has a significant detrimental impact on your life - for example, constantly being late for work because you keep going back to see if you turned off the stove, etc.

AgapeDoc :

So..... 1) go to see a medical doctor and tell him/her about your head injury and once you have ruled that out, see a therapist to discuss these thoughts. It's likely that it can be controlled with behavioral therapy, but just so you know there are medications for it and there are many people who take a low dose and are very happy and lead very normal lives :)

Customer:

Thank you very much for your reply.

Customer:

Can you provide any other opinion on the types of flashes i seem to be having? This is what is worrying me the most, as previously mentioned I am not an agressive person.

Customer:

also i was on another prescription for approx 4 months for for gout. i finished than a year ago however. I cannot remember the name of it, but could this be linked at all? Just want to rule everything out.

AgapeDoc : It's possible but highly unlikely that the gout medicine has anything to do with this.
Customer:

OK thanks for that. Will go to doc tomorrow regarding head injury.

Customer:

Just on my other questions too please: 

Customer:

Can you provide any other opinion on the types of flashes i seem to be having? this is what is worrying me the most, as previously mentioned I am not an agressive person

Customer:

thanks

AgapeDoc : I would stand by my original response as well as add that these thoughts may well be coming to you as a result of you feeling somewhat frustrated and not having adequate control of you situation....... so these nflashesn or thoughts are your brains way of lashing out at strangers .....remember you are in a foriegn land as well as taking control of you situation.......
AgapeDoc : I really this a couple of visits to a therapist and you will. Feel much better..... remember to first rule out the head injury. I wish you much success and thanks again for the opportunity to serve
Customer:

ok thanks again

AgapeDoc : Be well...... and please don t forget to click on the accept button
AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist