How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mindhealer Your Own Question
mindhealer, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 693
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
mindhealer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have anxiety attacts when I can't take my little dog with

Resolved Question:

I have anxiety attacts when I can't take my little dog with me when I travel or go shopping. I can't even take her to my daughters due to NO DOGs rule by the Home owners Assoc.. How do I get my dog certified so she can go with me? I have been staying home rather leave her.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 6 years ago.

Good evening and thank you for the opportunity to help in answering your question. First please allow me to say that I am sincerely ***** ***** hear of the difficulty and significant anxiety that you have experienced.

I'm actually quite familiar with the process you're inquiring about as the majority of my patients have sever anxiety, panic as well as Post Traumatic Stress and find solace in their pets.Essentially what needs to take place is two things. The first would be for you to be evaluated and clearly diagnosed with an anxiety/panic disorder by a psychiatrist....mind you I have written several letters for my own patients but some places can be somewhat picky and want a a letter from an MD (Psychiatrist).

Following the initial evaluation by suggestion would be to meet with him or her for a few sessions to build up a rapport and relationship and communicate to them the calming effect that your dog has on you and that you have found her to be better than most medications and would like her to be certified as a therapy dog.

For most places....the letter from your doctor will suffice...however some other places may require that your dog go through what is considered to be a school for animals to make them into therapy dogs.

There are school all across the country that you can go through in order to achieve this certification if it were to become necessary...though most places will accept the Psychiatrists letter identifying the need for your dog to be with for if she isn't then your panic disorder will undoubtedly worsen and likely lead to agoraphobia.(fear of leaving your home)

I would start off with the evaluation I mentioned above and go from there....the doctor may also suggest that you consider medications and therapy....specifically cognitive behavioral therapy... to help manage the anxiety and I would suggest that you give it consideration and not rule it out as it may very well help you

Here is a list of schools that train animals to be therapy dogs.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have been helpful in answering your question and that you have found my suggestions to be of benefit to you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions that I can help in answering for you as I want to ensure that I have answered your question completely and thoroughly.

If you feel that I've answered your question to your satisfaction then I would greatly appreciate your clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer and suggestions I've provided to you. I hope this finds you well and look forward to your response.

mindhealer and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you