Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Planning an intervention for my brother who has a gambling

Customer Question
addiction (he is in denial...
Planning an intervention for my brother who has a gambling addiction (he is in denial. . What type of things shoud we address? Will getting him to barr himself from the casino be helpful?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/13/2011
Mental Health Professional: mindhealer, Therapist replied 6 years ago
mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist

Good evening and thank you for the opportunity to help in answering your question. First please allow me to say that I am sincerely ***** ***** hear of the difficulty and pain that your family has endured.

My suggestion would be to contact all CLOSE friends family members that your brother is closest to and (it would be helpful) RESPECTS. I would strongly urge you to ensure that none of the individuals gamble and share your level of concern for your brother. I would suggest that they all compile in one place together and then ensure that your brother comes after everyone has compiled in the designated location.

I would then suggest that each person write out 1 or 2 statements in which his gambling has harmed them in some way. I realize this is harsh so I would suggest that you also have them write out 1 thing that they appreciate about him that has NOTHING TO DO with his gambling. Then have each person read their prepared statements....one after another so that he doesn't have time to interrupt....this is the same intervention approach when confronting a substance abuser and has been found to be equally effective for many types of addictions.

The purpose and intent is to have the words permeate him and for him to actually realize the pain that he has caused those closest to him. I would also suggest that you have names of therapists who specialize in this form of addiction (Goggle addiction therapist or gambling addiction therapists for a list of therapists in your area) as well as locations and times for Gamblers Anonymous (GA) meetings for him to start attending.

As for getting him to barr himself from the casino...that wouldn't be a bad idea but the thing is if he feels the urge it's best for him to have the support network from GA in place for him to contact someone to help him through the urge...this has to be his decision for this to truly work....you can suggest it and he may do it....but there are other casinos and other ways to gamble that are very easily accessible online.

I hope that I have been helpful in answering your question and that you have found my suggestions to be of benefit.

Please let me know if you have any further questions that I can help in answering for you. I want to be certain that I have answered your question completely and thoroughly.

If you feel that I've answered your question to your satisfaction then I would greatly appreciate your clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer and suggestions I've provided to you. I hope this finds you well and look forward to your response.

What about an evaluation by addiction expert and possible medication? My brother has always been abnormally hyper. After retirement developed the gambling habit.

Thank you for your reply and further inquiry. An evaluation would be a great suggestion if your brother is willing to go see one. Before a medication evaluation I would suggest him seeing a clinical psychologist who can administer a battery of psychological tests to decipher if there are any underlying issues that may be prompting his addictive behaviors. That will give him a better idea as to what would be most beneficial for him regarding treatment options.

As for medications...if he is receptive than it would not be a bad idea as well. Some of the most effective medications would be Paxil or Prozac given that both are FDA approved in the treatment of anxiety and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). I suggest these and offer you that information given the fact that Gambling addiction often is a result of Compulsive Behaviors.

The testing I mentioned above will also be able to determine the hyperactivity. My initial impression is that it likely is anxiety related given that OCD falls under the umbrella of Anxiety disorders and that anxiety itself can present in the form of physical manifestation such as trembling and/or shaking.

I hope this helps to answer your question thoroughly and if you have any further questions please feel free to ask anything further that you may need as I want to be certain that you are satisfied with the answer and suggestions I've provided. Please be sure to ask anything further before clicking the ACCEPT button. Thank you again for the opportunity to help you and your family.

mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
mindhealer
mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist