How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5807
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My best friend has a problem with prescription medications

This answer was rated:

My best friend has a problem with prescription medications -- all legally prescribed. She takes Norco/Soma for a back injury, Ativan/Klonopin for anxiety, Ambien, Wellbutrin and Prozac. She's had a rough year -- lots of stress -- but has confided in me that she's taking more Norco/Soma/Ativan/Klonopin than she used to -- and depends on it to get through her day. She's acting differently -- eerily calm, not as fun as she used to be -- she works from home and never wants to go anywhere or do anything -- doesn't shower regularly (she used to wear makeup/do her hair every day - now she has greasy hair and stays in her PJs most of the time.) She's spending most of her time alone -- zoned out in her room and living on delivery pizza. She's confided in me that she's scared - she knows she needs to get help and make changes but doesn't know where to start -- she can't get through the day without these meds. What should she do -- where should she start? She has good insurance.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.


It sounds like your friend is addicted to her prescriptions drugs. She needs detox and can only do that under the care of a doctor.


Your friend needs to contact her doctor immediately and let them know what is going on. The doctor can admit your friend into the hospital for treatment. You can also contact the doctor. They may not be able to share information with you, but you can tell them about what is going on.


She can also contact the local community mental health center for assistance. They can help her find the right agency or facility to help her. She most likely needs inpatient care initially to help her wean off the the drugs and find a good balance.


The United Way can also help with resources and referrals.


Once she is off the drugs and on appropriate medications, she needs to go to outpatient treatment. This includes therapy, a 12 step program and support groups if needed.


Here are some resources to help:


Let me know if I can help any further,


TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions