mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
6848745

My 51 year old son was shot in the head 10 years ago. He

My 51 year old son was shot in the head 10 years ago. He lived with his father shortly after his injury but his father died last year. He has these emotional rages and lashes out at me, calling me names, I am his mother so I can't seem to handle this anymore. Are these emotional outburts common in traumatic brain injured patients?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 6 years ago.

Good afternoon and thank you for the opportunity to help in answering your question. First please allow me to say that I am sincerely ***** ***** hear of the difficulty you and your son are going through.

Based on what you've identified in your question the answer is typically more than just a yes or no. In a general respect, Yes...those with Traumatic Brain Injuries commonly present with aggression that is typically secondary to frustrations felt in an inability to express themselves as they wish to.

The reason that I said this is not a simple yes or no is due to the fact that TBIs often vary significantly with regard to the type of injury, it's severity, loss of consciousness, locale of where the brain was damaged.

My suggestion would be to speak with his physician and learning specifically the extent of what I mentioned just above and knowing the answer to those questions would help you to better manage him. I would also strongly suggest that he be involved in not just the support group but also in individual therapy.

If I may...I would also suggest that you consider attending a support group for families of those with TBIs. The reason I suggest this is due to the fact that you would benefit greatly from a support network of others going through this as well. A lot of times what occurs is that you gain further insight and understanding in managing both your son and yourself.

I truly hope that I have been helpful in answering your questions and that you found my suggestions to be of benefit.

Please let me know if you have any further questions that I can help in answering for you. I want to be certain that I have answered your question completely and thoroughly.

If you feel that I've answered your question to your satisfaction then I would greatly appreciate your clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer and suggestions I've provided to you. I hope this finds you well and look forward to your response.