Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I'm s personal trainer and have a client who exercises with

I'm s personal trainer and...
I'm s personal trainer and have a client who exercises with me 6 to 7 days a week--she admits to having a food addiction- was molested by dad, is bipolar and has panic attacks--not often but they're there. When she told me about seeing a counselor 10 years ago--she was 19, and had told the counselor about the molestation--Mom told the counselor to not report it and apparently it got dropped. Any suggestions? I live in stark co--OH--is there any place I can refer her--Thank you for your time. Cynthia
7/7/2011
AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
AgapeDoc :

Thanks for the opportunity to serve....

AgapeDoc :

You did the right thing to contact me here. This is a very sad and tough situation you find yourself in, but it makes sense that you are not completely comfortable contending with this issue. Your client needs professional therapeutic help and the good news is that she seems to be ready and willing to accept it as she is open to discuss thing with you.

AgapeDoc :

If she has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, she has had to see a therapist or psychiatrist at some point (in order to get that diagnosis). I would suggest that your recommend she make another appointment with this person and address the molestation.

AgapeDoc :

I imagine that her issues (food addiction, bipolar disorder) stem all or mostly from the molestation - this is an understatement!

AgapeDoc :

She is fortunate to have you as a trainer.

AgapeDoc :

As far as the issue of it not being reported - there is precious little that can be done about that. Most states would consider her an adult, so it would not be child abuse.

AgapeDoc :

I would focus on the present and the future with her in order to help her get better and create a new and better life from this point on.

AgapeDoc :

How am I doing? Do you have additional questions?

AgapeDoc :

I'm not sure I gave you what you were looking for, but it just seems that she has had some involvement with mental health professionals and needs to follow up...

JACUSTOMER-r2genjx2- :

would a life coach be of use--not dwelling on the WHY and HOW, rather on the 'where do you want to go--goal settings, and more importantly the goal achieving?

AgapeDoc :

YOU have just hit the nail on the head in terms of what I was referring to above.

AgapeDoc :

And I am a real proponent of Life Coaches. I would have suggested that except for the fact that she is dealing with mental health issues.

AgapeDoc :

However, if she is more open to that - by all means she can find success as others have.

AgapeDoc :

The only caveat is that a Life Coach will not deal with her bipolar disorder or her previous molestation. A life coach can help with managing a diet though :)

AgapeDoc :

As I have found, some people will actually go to a life coach, when they won't consistently follow through with therapy.

JACUSTOMER-r2genjx2- :

OK....Life Coaching it is and suggesting that she goes back to the professionals to get restarted. Thank you Thank you..Cynthia

AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist