How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Doctor Blake Your Own Question
Doctor Blake
Doctor Blake, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 146
Experience:  Ph.D., Ed.S., NCSP Clinical Psychologist; 15+ years of experience; dual licensure
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Doctor Blake is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been suffer from social fobia and depression for last

Resolved Question:

I have been suffer from social fobia and depression for last 12 years, and try to kill myself 8 times. I was on Paxil before, now on Cymbalta. Even if I'm on medication symptoms like panic attacks are coming back. Could you please tell me if I have a chance to be complitly healthly?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Blake replied 6 years ago.
Doctor Blake :

Good evening and thanks for writing to JA.

I'm glad your physician has started you on Paxil, which is a form of a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI). SSRIs are generally considered the “drug-of-choice” when treating anxiety disorders, including anxiety or panic attacks. I would suggest that you might want to consider a non-pharmaceutical treatment that has been found to be as effective (and in some cases MORE effective) than medication.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is a very specialized form of treatment that is provided by a Psychologist, Counselor, or Social Worker with specific training in CBT. Unlike traditional "talk therapy," in which a patient may stumble upon a cure once s/he gains enough insight into their problems, CBT uses specific strategies and methods to change thoughts/feelings (cognitions) and actions (behaviors) that lead to the disorder

I would strongly urge you to speak to your physician about your plan to see a Cognitive-Behavioral Therapist who can provide CBT to you to address your anxiety or panic attacks. Make sure your physician is willing/able to team with the mental health professional providing the treatment. As you experience changes that may well happen after you commence CBT, the physician will need to be made aware of this, in the event that medications may need to be changed.

When searching for your mental health therapist (again Psychologist, Counselor, or Social Worker) is would be very specific about your needs. Ask them if they employ Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Have they ever worked with someone with anxiety disorders, specifically panic attacks? You might have to do a little "shopping around," but it's OK for you to be demanding about your health care! YOU DESERVE IT.

(CBT will also be effective in the treatment of generalized anxiety or, frankly, almost any form of anxiety – provided you are willing to work hard, apply yourself, and follow the treatment protocols.)

Finally, you should know that, of all the mental diseases, anxiety and depression are among the most successfully treated. And among anxiety disorders, panic attacks are among the most successfully treated using CBT! You have a great deal to be hopeful about! I hope you are successful in finding a qualified CBT therapist to address your concerns.

Thanks. I hope this was helpful. Please click ACCEPT unless you have other questions or concerns.

Doctor Blake and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you