Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Conservetorship for son with mental issues in and out of

jail. has Schizoprenia, Bipolar 1...
Conservetorship for son with mental issues in and out of jail. has Schizoprenia, Bipolar 1 anger , will not take medication. Mother and father need conservatorship. He is presently in Parol. Has been to Atascadero mental hospital. The know what medication he shld take but cant make him take it.
7/1/2011
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist

Hi! I believe I can be of help with this issue.

First, let me say I can imagine how frustrating and worrisome this situation must be for you. On the one hand your son is an adult and wants to be treated as one and you are clearly a very loving family and you know he needs help. But on the other hand he is clearly incapable of getting along in the world. And this is presenting a dilemma that is one of the hardest in our day to deal with: without prison, how do you force someone to help himself?

And this is actually the key to my answer to you that you need to consider and think about. Even with conservatorship, he will resist any treatment. But it is important for you to not become adversarial about this. To have him feel that you are on his side. Why?

Because taking his meds, staying true to the treatment, and staying stable, is his lesson to be learned and he will not learn it from being lectured to about it or have his errors pointed out. He will become defensive. So it is vital for you not to take your son's situation personally and to always make him feel as if he is in charge of himself.

One of the problems here is that with many schizophrenia disorders sufferers, manipulating the situation to avoid medication or treatment in general is part of the disorder. It is very pernicious and very difficult to treat. I would like to recommend to you the work of Dr. Xavier Amador. I think that in this area of treatment resistance he has been invaluable to all of us working with schizophrenia. I know some people don't go for his style, but I have found it very valuable and I think you will see its value as well. His whole approach is to find the way to make treatment a win-win situation. Because for your son, treatment is only for others' sakes: family, doctors, etc. Not for himself. The meds probably cause whole sorts of side effects he doesn't like. And this is going to be true of any meds the doctors come up with. Because resistance is often part of the illness and all meds have side effects.

So this approach can help you very much. But not only you personally, but the whole family. Here are his two most known books:

I am Not Sick, I Don't Need Help. This is the book that made Dr. Amador famous. It details a bit the story of his brother, who will remind of you of Leo probably in some aspects. Amazon page for it:

http://www.amazon.com/someone-mental-illness-treatment-Anniversary/dp/0967718953/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289946492&sr=1-3

The other book is I'm Right You're Wrong, Now what? Break the Impasse and Get What You Need. Amazon page:

http://www.amazon.com/Right-Youre-Wrong-Now-What/dp/B001Q9E9OC/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289946492&sr=1-1

So, read it and digest the idea and then see if you can spread the approach slowly among the family. I wish you the very best!

Please remember to click the green accept button. Feel free to continue the discussion; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, ***** *****

Very inspiring, I will follow it well.

Truthfully I need to know the actual process for getting the conservatorship. We have already decided to do, but kno't know how.

Do You?
This is a legal question and is bound by state law. So I don't know the procedure in your state nor the legalities involved there.

The best way to start is to Google (yes, I know the world runs on Google, but it will help with the general information to get you started) "guardianship conservatorship durable medical power of attorney {name of your state}".

Take about an hour and look up the most promising responses you get. I was being as thorough as I could to make sure I would get the language that your state's statutes use.

If you know an attorney in your church, maybe he/she would be willing to get you started without charging in the process as it's for your son. Because in my state, it is so much easier if there is an attorney advising you and speaking to the court when needed.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Dear Dr. Mark,

I really don't know how to resolve our deal. What I really need to know about is how to get conservership over my son due to his mental health problems. Is that something you can tell me about?

Recently I got a message from just answere, that this question was being opened to others.

Can you advise me the steps I must take to get conservatorship started over my son.

If that is a question for a California Lawyer, I will have to rephrase my question.

I see that you poured your heart and soul into the answer. If you can answer my core question, I can pay $22, and chip in a bonus too. What do you say?
I am not an attorney so I cannot answer the legal question. If you feel you have received benefit from my answer as a practicing psychologist, I will be very grateful for the ACCEPT and any bonus. If you feel you did not benefit, then you can abandon this question without pressing accept and ask a new question in the legal forum. I wish you the very best! Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist