How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5838
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there a way to get tested or evaluated even if I don't

Resolved Question:

Is there a way to get tested or evaluated even if I don't have medical insurance? Lately I've become confused and wish I could find some clarity in exactly what I do have. I have been evaluated as having this and that and sometimes I read up on it and sometimes things don't match up right.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

A second opinion is always a good idea, especially if you feel your initial diagnosis does not fit. If you have done research on your own and you feel your therapist or doctor was off base, getting another opinion can help you be sure you receive the right treatment.

Any qualified therapist or psychiatrist should be able to offer you a full evaluation that provides you with an appropriate diagnosis.

Yes, there is a way to get help without insurance. You just need to contact your local community mental health center. They offer therapy, psychiatrists, case managers and other services to help. The may also offer testing, or know who does. They also have a financial office to help you apply for assistance or to work out income based payments you can afford.

To find out information about your local community mental health center or other treatment options in your area, contact your local United Way. They should be able to refer you. You can also contact your local city government to get to the office of mental health services. They can help as well. Another option is your library. They may have resources such as community resource books and informational brochures to guide you on community resources.

Many local universities or colleges may also have resources to help. Graduate students in Psychology may offer low to no cost therapy or testing services. If you live near a teaching or research university or hospital, they may have services for no cost. Even if they do not offer help, they may know who does.

Let me know if you have any more questions,

TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you