How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ask Eleanor Your Own Question
Ask Eleanor
Ask Eleanor, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1517
Experience:  Marriage & Family Therapist/Prof. Counselor for 20 years
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Ask Eleanor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am interested in the wilderness program for my grandson

Customer Question

I am interested in the wilderness program for my grandson who will be 16 in Nov.
He has failed every year for the last three years and they keep passing him, and he is on drugs just to keep his temper down, but he cares about absolutely nothing, and will not do anything he is told to do. Is there a place like this for teens?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.

Hi! I believe I can be of help with this issue.

First, let me say I can imagine how worrisome and distressing this situation must be for you. Your grandson is truly out of control and I think you are correct to seek a more intensive treatment than the psychiatrist seems to be doing. Finding a suitable place for your grandson is both a matter of making sure of the quality of the facility and the affordability to you. So let me give you a few resources that are reputable.

The facility, however, that Dr. Phil recommends is called Turn-About Ranch. They have both a short term program and a 100 day program. They focus on the kids working with horses, which I can tell you is a model I support very much. I don't use Equine Therapy but I have attended conferences and met professionals who do and have been impressed with the reports I have received. Here's the address for admissions to the Ranch:

You can browse their site and get a sense of what their program is like.

The parent organization of Turnabout Ranch is called Aspen Education. They have a number of different facilities and programs with different focus and age groups served. Here is their web site you can browse. When you see a school or program that interests you, you can go directly to its site from this one:

You should also look at Abundant Life Academy's (It's very Christian in its orientation) boy's boarding schools:

The Christian boarding schools have a good track record and they often are less expensive. It is also easier to find funding help on your own town through your own church to help with expenses by asking the church membership to help sponsor him.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

Please remember to click the green accept button. Feel free to continue the discussion; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, ***** *****

Expert:  Ask Eleanor replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I believe the Outward Bound Wilderness program for at risk youth and troubled teens is exactly what you are looking to find for your grandson. Outbound Bound has been around for many years and has a stellar reputation. You may go to to find information about this program. If this answers your question, please remember to click on the green accept button so that I will receive credit for my response. I wish healing for your grandson and peace of mind for you, take care, Eleanor
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Please withdraw my offer. I already had these adresses.