How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5808
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do i know what type of therapy is right for me

Resolved Question:

how do i know what type of therapy is right for me?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.


Can you tell me what type of issue you are having? What are your symptoms?


Thank you,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my mum died almost 7 years ago now, and i have changed so much since she died. i have been with my boyfriend for almost 7yrs too, and he is from australia, he wants us to move out there in a fw months. im sorry im hopeless at describing how i feel. i am always the one everyone comes to with their problems and i seem to be able to be very logical and helpful but when it comes to me i bury my head in the sand. im just feeling down unmotivated and pretty depressed at the moment. my boyfriend and i nearly broke up and he says that one condition of us trying to work things out is that i see a councelor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
im not sure if my response was posted back to you/
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 6 years ago.

It sounds like you are very good at helping others but not your own needs. Remember, you are just as important as anyone else. And your mom's death may have affected you greatly. But if you don't pay attention to yourself and treat your issues as important, then you will have trouble healing. People who are empathetic to others often ignore their own needs. It is important to pay attention to yourself, or you become useless to others.


Any therapist, Master's level or above would be fine for you to see. A counselor that specializes in grief therapy would be especially helpful, but not necessary. Most therapists are trained to help those who are grieving. A Master's level therapist is trained to perform full evaluations, diagnosis and provide appropriate therapy. A Ph.D is a therapist with a doctorate. They are also as qualified as therapists just with extra education.


A psychiatrist is a medical doctor that specializes in mental health medication. They can also provide therapy, but mainly they help with diagnosis and medications, if needed.


Regular out patient therapy should be plenty to help you. You can see the therapist as often as you both determine you need to, but once a week is pretty standard.


To find a therapist, you can ask your regular doctor for a referral. Or you can search on line at or


Here are some other resources that may help you:


Healing After Loss: Daily Meditations For Working Through Grief by Martha Whitmore Hickman


On Grief and Grieving: Finding the Meaning of Grief Through the Five Stages of Loss by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross and David Kessler


When Grief Breaks Your Heart by James W. Moore


You can find these books on or your local library may have them for you.


Let me know if I can help any further,


TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what in your oppinion would suggest that someone has a form of depression? and if there is any, what is the best way to deal with grief? do have your own practice also or do you just practice on line?
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 6 years ago.

Depression is characterized by feelings of sadness (not everyday sadness but persistent deep sadness), trouble with sleeping or sleeping too much, loss of interest in activities, including ones you previously enjoyed, appetite problems, self hatred, and loss of energy. (These are some of the symptoms but it is not a conclusive list.)


There are many forms of depression. The depression caused by grief is one of the stages of grief that people commonly get stuck in. They feel lost without their loved one and too overwhelmed by the grief to move out of this stage and on with their lives.


The best way to deal with your grief is to learn as much as you can about it. The more you know, the more strength and knowledge you have to help you pull out of your grief and move on. Also, you can build supports with others to help you work through your grief. Along with therapy, support groups can be a big help since you can bond with others who share the same feelings and experiences. You can attend support groups in person or on line. Here are some links to get you started:


My experience includes private practice, community mental health/ drug and alcohol and emergency services both hospital based and community based. I am licensed both in my state and nationally in the U.S. I also help here on line on Just Answer so if you would ever need to contact me again, that would be fine. I would love to help you anytime you need it.



Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 6 years ago.



I am sorry I could not get to your request in time. Just Answer only allows for 10 minutes before the request expires and it gets offered to other experts.


When you see a counselor, the counselor should gather your information, do a complete evaluation asking you about symptoms and your past experiences (they may not be able to go into full detail but they should note things like abuse and any other significant emotional trauma), and they should be clear on your presenting problem.


They should then let you know about your diagnosis and offer you treatment that is appropriate.


Kelly gave you good advice as well. If you would like to work with me in the future, just post your question with my name at the beginning, such as "For Kate McCoy" and that should help. I will answer as soon as I can.


Let me know if you should have more questions,


TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions