AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience:  Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.
55589990

Dear Doctor,my mother 89 years old with Dimentsia Alsheimer

Dear Doctor,my mother 89 years old with Dimentsia Alsheimer refusing to take medecines in the last 3 days. I give her all the medecines but take houres. Tonight I spent 120 minutes almost 2 houres to give her one medecine she says no and pushes me and the caregiver. Finaly she agreed to take it . What do you think is reason of this behaviour and what is the way to give her quickly the medecines? I cannot spend 120 minutes for one medecine I feel very tired and very bad now. She must take every day 6 different kind of medecines total 12 pieces . Do you think possible to continue to take care in my house or she needs a home care place for such sick people?
AgapeDoc :

Thanks for contacting Just Answer. Let's see if I can help...

AgapeDoc :

I'm sorry you are in this tough situation. It would seem that it's time to put her in a facility or hire a caregiver to administer her medication at home.

AgapeDoc :

You asked for a reason why she is doing this... well it goes with her disorders (Dimentsia and Alsheimer).

Customer:

she has a caregiver 24 houres with me together and both are very tired as i said tonight 120 minutes for one medecine she refuses to take pushing with hands and saying nooo

AgapeDoc :

Then, it would seem that an institution is the place for her needs to get met. I imagine it's not something that's completely comfortable, but you must think of her well-being.

Customer:

i think she is better in the house the treatment in care house i dont know if is better fr her

Customer:

for me very hard to handle this situation

AgapeDoc :

Very well... I would suggest getting a behavior therapist to help with the meds. You can find a good behavior therapist on the internet. You will want to find a "Certified Applied Behavioral Analyst" and that is key! But one with this training will be able to help you with this situation. These are the folks who help others with special needs.