Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My son is 29 and is homeless ,over time been admitted to

hospital for substance abuse and...
My son is 29 and is homeless ,over time been admitted to hospital for substance abuse and as been told he has schizophrenia/ bipola and has been given medication but say's it's is life and refuses to take it . He has since teenage years been agresive to our family and because of this he can't live in the family home, we feel powerless to help him is sister say's authorties should give him is medication , but in australia that's against your free will.So he is on the street's bugging the police and not takeing care of himself in hygine and eating i'm at a loss to know what to do i can't make him take is medicine he swears at me and say's i'm dirty what can i do
6/19/2011
AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
AgapeDoc :

Thanks for contacting Just Answer. Let's see if I can help you...

AgapeDoc :

I am sorry that you are in a tough situation. Unfortunately, I find myself helping many clients in similar situations. It is tough, very tough! However, there is hope. Your son won't seek help and there is nothing anyone can do to make him seek help. So, what to do.......?

AgapeDoc :

Well, in situations such as this, it is good for the others to get the help of a counselor or "Life Coach". You approach the counselor and explain that you want a "Life Coach" to help YOU deal with the situation.

AgapeDoc :

Unfortunately, you can't control him - he will make his choices and there is little you can do about it. However, you can do lots about your choices. This has helped many in your situation. If you keep your focus on his situation, you will continue to be stuck where you are. I know this is tough, but it has worked for others.

Customer:

In australia i don't think we have life coaches may be i should consult with my family doctor , and see what he can advice. My worry is because of his choices and can he make these choices? with this condtion, can his brain still funtion with this? seeings he in and out of reality that harm could come to him like getting hit by a car, as my daughter found him near a motor way, it really frighten me to think of the harm he can put on himself.

AgapeDoc :

Yes, I would be lying if I said that your worries unfounded, but there really is not much that can be done, unless he decides to take action. As for a life coach - you can approach any therapist or counselor and explain that you want him to take on the role of a life coach - he will get it.

AgapeDoc :

If I have been helpful, please don't forget to click on the accept button so I can get credit for my efforts.

Customer:

A counselor will help us deal with our emotions and feelings of help lessness?

AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist