How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5839
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been treated for depression for years now. I don't feel

Resolved Question:

I've been treated for depression for years now. I don't feel depressed EXCEPT that I'm so exhausted, can't concentrate, fidgety, impulsive, can remember simple things, can't seem to concentrate on one thing at work--WHAT A MESS! ,,,but Primary Care doctors keep treating me anti-depressents. Yes, I've had sleep studies, yes I'm on a C-pap..doesn't make a bit of difference in how I feel. Could it be that I'm ADHD and just not being diagnosed properly. Primary Care Doctor won't even address possiblty of ADHD, but I have no idea of who to go to in this area (psychatrist/psychologist) who could help me determine if it is indeed depression or ADHD or both, and who can prescribe appropriate medications. Any recommendation for Psychiatrist/Psycholigsts in the Dayton, OH area? (I prefer a female Doctor)
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you need a full physical work up before you consider a mental health issue. Any time you have the possibility of a mental health diagnosis, it is always a good idea to rule out a physical problem first. Your problem could be thyroid related or a hormonal imbalance. A visit to an Endocrinologist might also be an option.

If you have had a full workup already, then it would be a good idea to get an evaluation by a therapist or psychiatrist. While a primary care doctor is good for initial screening, they are not trained in psychiatric disorders. Here is a break down of the professionals it would be appropriate for you to see:

A psychiatrist is a medical doctor that specializes in mental health evaluations and medications. They are trained to do full evaluations and provide a diagnosis. Although they can also treat you through psychotherapy, it is usually better to see a Master's Level or Ph.D. therapist for any talk therapy you are considering.

A psychologist is someone with a Ph.D. in psychology or related field. They are called Doctor, but they cannot prescribe medications. They can do an evaluations and therapy.

A therapist is a person who has a Master's degree. The initials you see after a therapist's name are the following:

LSW- a licensed social worker. They are trained in family and social therapy.
MSW- the same as above without the special license
MA- a Master's in Psychology. They are usually trained in theories of psychology.
M.Ed- a Master's in Counseling. They are trained in counseling methods and community counseling.

All Master's level therapist are also trained to do evaluations. If you are determined to have ADHD or depression and you need medication, they will refer you to a psychiatrist.

It is almost impossible to provide you with a diagnosis on line so I cannot say which disorder you may have. But from what you did describe, it does not sound like depression. I have seen many patients with depression, and although they may have a few of the symptoms you described, they usually have crying, low motivation and possibly suicidal thoughts. You do not describe having any of those symptoms. So you do need an evaluation to determine what you do have.

While I do not personally know any therapists or psychiatrists in the Dayton area, there are some resources I can provide you to help you find one.

Let me know if I can help any further,

Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 6 years ago.

I haven't heard from you. Did you have any other question or want clarification?


TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you