Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

About 25 years ago, I had a car crash, TBI, and a 40 day

coma. Since then, I...
About 25 years ago, I had a car crash, TBI, and a 40 day coma. Since then, I have not been able to express any emotion, whether I want to or not. No comedians are funny. I was told my dad died. So? Mom said that wasn't the reaction she had been expecting. I have no emotions anymore. Is there a name for that? Oh, and what's the name of that phobia of churches?
6/15/2011
Penny Rayas, MFT
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist

Are you avoiding talking about the incident? Are you having flashback of the car crash? Any anxiety or dreams? Can you tell me what you mean by fear of churches? Are you afraid to go inside a church? Not feeling your emotions is a normal response to trauma. It sounds to me like you are suffering from PTSD. A good therapist who has experience with PTSD can help you feel your emotions again. I also suggest the book waking the tiger by Peter Levin.

http://helpguide.org/mental/post_traumatic_stress_disorder_symptoms_treatment.htm

Relist: Other.
It's not that she reacted inaccurately or anything; she didn't say anything at all. She only asked questions. I asked a simple 'what's the name of this phobia' question as an aside, and she assumed I had that problem. I don't; I had only asked what it's called.
Doctor Blake
Doctor Blake, Psychologist
Good evening, and thanks for writing to JA.

A term to describe your lack of emotion, which is not considered a disorder - but a "psychological symptom" or "descriptor" - would be Athymia. (Euthymia is the state of "normal" or "typical" emotions; "dysthymia" is a term (and a disorder) to describe chronic, low level negativisitic or depressed thinking.) Athymia means, literally, lack or emotion or "no-emotion."

A term to describe a fear of churches... which I'll tell you sure didn't come up in any of my graduate courses... is Ecclesiaphobia.

Hope this is helpful. Please click <ACCEPT> unless there are further questions or concerns.

Thanks.
Doctor Blake
Doctor Blake, Psychologist
Doctor Blake
Doctor Blake
Doctor Blake, Psychologist