How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5808
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello - I have a few questions concerning my 37 year old daughter.

This answer was rated:

Hello - I have a few questions concerning my 37 year old daughter. She had been diagnosed as being bi-polar, and goes on and off her medicine quite a bit. It seems like she goes off her medicine when she is drinking. She recently broke up with her girlfriend, and this seemed to trigger quite irratic behavior. She also gave up one of her children to adoption quite a while ago, and he has just contacted her, that could of had something to do with it too. My husband and I bought a house for her to live in, and she was supposed to pay rent. She now said she is moving out of the house, is giving us back the car we let her borrow, and has recently been fired from her job. She said they fired her because "she is more or less crazy". Her son recently visited her (20 years old) and said she is drunk when he goes over to her house, and she passes out on the floor. He quit visiting her since he said this is quite embarassing for him when his girlfriend sees her like this.

Recently her ex-husband said he could not take care of their other son they have 'm together (15 years old) because he is causing a lot of trouble at school. My daughter said she could not handle him since he does not respect her. He is 6' and she is afraid he could hurt her.

My daughter has tried to commit suicide before, and I'm afraid she could do this again. Is there something I can do for her? If I take her to the hospital, is there any type help for her when she gets out. We live in another town from her, and it may be hard to check up on her everyday. She needs someone to make sure she takes her medicine, and also makes sure she sees a psychiatrist to evaluate meds, and a counselor to talk to. I'm not sure how to keep her from drinking, but are there groups that she could attend so she can hear from others and discuss her illness?

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.


If your daughter is currently feeling suicidal, you can take your daughter for an evaluation at the hospital to see if she is willing to be admitted. If not, in order to be committed to the hospital your daughter has to express suicidal feelings and have a plan on how she would hurt herself. The person who hears her express this plan must be the one who goes to the hospital with her and signs the papers. In other words, it cannot be someone who was told that your daughter wants to hurt herself, it has to be whomever heard it first hand.


Once she is discharged from the hospital, the social worker should provide appointments for her to follow up with. Any additional services can be arranged with the social worker.


You can also suggest your daughter see a therapist if she is not already doing so. This would help her work on her problems and give her someone to turn to. She can find a therapist through the local community mental health center. They can also provide her with a case manager who could come to her home and monitor her living situation. They can also be sure she has enough food and is following through with her medications and appointments. They cannot force her to do any of these things but they can try to be there for her.


To start services with a therapist and case manager, contact the local United Way or the mental health department in your city for a referral.


Although you can provide all of these services for your daughter, ultimately she must want to follow through. Unless she is a danger to herself or someone else, she has the option by law to refuse treatment. That is a very difficult thing to cope with when you are a caring family member watching her be destructive and not helping herself. If you have not already, you may want to contact NAMI- the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill for assistance on how you can find help for yourself and for your daughter. They also can help protect her rights and provide valuable information on resources you may want. Here is a link:


I hope this has helped you,

TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you