Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have a growing problem, and am afraid there will be a

tragedy if we dont make...
I have a growing problem, and am afraid there will be a tragedy if we dont make the right moves, but I have no clue. My 34 yr old son is divorced 6 yrs or so and had his child till about 2-3 years ago, now her mother has her, and this makes him wild with rage. He takes it out on me, tonight he got very very verbally abusive, and then it got physical,after I finally got him to leave, i called the police for advice , and they said to tell him to stay away and leave us alone for awhile. I have never been afraid of him before but now I AM. My spouse had to come home from work, they wanted to arrest my son. I am not ready to go there. I love him dearly but I think he has NPD or less likely bipolar disorder. am afraid he will kill or injure , me my husband or himself. What on earth can we do?
6/10/2011
Doctor Blake
Doctor Blake, Psychologist
Doctor Blake :

Good evening... and thanks for contacting JA.

Doctor Blake :

At this point, you need to forego all mental health expertise and make certain that you are protecting yourself and your family.

Doctor Blake :

Please continue to work closely with the police, file appropriate reports with legal authorities, and do not entertain concerns about his well-being.

Doctor Blake :

I understand, quite deeply, how you feel about the need to protect him. But you need to remember what the airline stewards tell you when the plane is going down: "Put the oxygen mask on yourself before you help those around you."

Doctor Blake :

You need to protect yourself with appropriate restraining orders and related legal restrictions to be certain that you (and your daughter-in-law and grand-daughter) are safe.

Doctor Blake :

Once you are guaranteed a level of safety, then you can ask questions about appropiate interventions to address his mental health issues. Right now - you concerns should be about safety.

Doctor Blake :

Please understand that when someone violates your personal rights and safety - these concerns take precidence over other concerns.

Doctor Blake :

I wish you the best of luck - and hope you will take my advice.

Doctor Blake :

Thanks. Please click <ACCEPT> unless you have other questions or concerns.

Doctor Blake
Doctor Blake, Psychologist
Doctor Blake
Doctor Blake
Doctor Blake, Psychologist