How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son 24 change his name at 21 believes on conspiracies has

Customer Question

my son 24 change his name at 21 believes on conspiracies has angry and manipulative outbursts, very impulsive on his decision making, he seems to have no emphaty for others and just had his nose change buy he is pro-health and seem to be happy he lives far from me but because his actions his sister doesnt want to talk to him ever again. is he borderline? narcissist? please help
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your son's situation.

Let me ask you a question first. When did his behavior problem start?

Is there a specific question I can assist you with?

Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
You are not charged until you receive a satisfying answer.

Please also allow a few hours for me to get back to you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
when he was young teachers thought he was hyperactive .he couldnot sit still. after my divorce 10 years ago he became very attach to me fearing his dependency of me he moved away but ever since 4 yrs now he has never stop asking me to move close to him i feel a little guilty about this. in his first year of college is when he was in depth into conspiracies that went away for a while but then he fixated into other things like changing his name cyrgury etc. likely so far he has done this with things that are not harmgul to him he is studying nutrition and does very well in school exept for things that requiere analytical thinking. he has foun a family where he lives that has taking him undr their wings, but the problem is his impulsiveness, lack of emphaty and he always talk about how everything is perfect he longs for friends and tried very hard to get them but for some reaason he ddoes not have very many, with the few he has he can be very demanding specially with me when he needs something and he cant find me he gets extremely angry and leaves me messages where he yells'where hell are you?" i know he loves to be with me but i fell when i am with him that i need to do things his way so that he doesnt become angry or dissapointed, he is very bright gets along well with adults but the rekationship with his sister is shatter.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your response.
I am sorry to hear about your children's relationship issues.
It sounds like your 24 year-old son exhibits angry, impulsive, and narcissistic behavior in general. I wonder if he has mild mood problems such as anxiety, depression and mood swings as he was see as hyperactive by teachers in the past.
His dependency, lack of empathy and demanding behavior towards you may be indicative of his general anxiety and narcissistic features.
The good news is that he is smart; he is studying nutrition and is doing well in school.
But, his behavior is worrisome. He seems to be doing fine now, though he can be demanding and hurtful to you and his sister. Perhaps, you may be concerned about his mental health or future.
He may have mood problems such as anxiety and narcissistic features.
He may need help from a psychotherapist/counselor to cope with his emotional and behavior issues later.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I suspected some of that but I was looking into borderline personality although he does not seem depress or try to hurt himself but I know that he practice a lot. Of self assuring mental exercises. Can u answer to that perhaps this possibility was overlook. I also woul like to find a specialist with a good reputation for personality disorders specifically borderline/narcisit around denver co
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi there, Thanks for your response. Your son exhibit some features of Borderline personality disorder. I do not see he meets the full criteria as I am not sure of the intensity and frequency of his anger, rage, outbursts and meltdowns. Yes, it is possible for your son to have BPD features.

I wrote Borderline Personality disorder (BPD)'s features and symptoms as follows.

Borderline Personality disorder is emotional regulation problems. BPD is a pervasive pattern of instability in interpersonal relationships, self-image, affect, and marked impulsivity. A person with BPD is intensely fearful of abandonment and may engage in impulsive and extreme behaviors to keep other people with them. Disturbances in self-image are often manifested as frequent shifts in career goals and sexual identity, while impulsivity is reflected in unsafe sex practices, reckless driving, financial irresponsibility, and substance abuse.

Borderline personality disorder symptoms may include:

Impulsive and risky behavior, such as risky driving, unsafe sex, gambling sprees or illegal drug use
Strong emotions that wax and wane frequently
Intense but short episodes of anxiety or depression
Inappropriate anger, sometimes escalating into physical confrontations
Difficulty controlling emotions or impulses
Suicidal behavior
Fear of being alone

Does your son fit most of the features and symptoms?

If he has BPD, he may need treatment - individual and group therapy and/or medication - sooner or later.

You as family may need help and support to associate with your daughter with BPD. You may need to get support from a counselor. You may need to be patient with his behavior - angry outbursts and erratic behavior as he has this illness. You may not overreact to any outbursts, emotional displays, or other behavior of him, as your overreaction may be an escalating factor in his behavior.

However, set limits with his behavior without high emotion. You may not change yourself to accommodate his behavior as he may try to manipulate you. Keep an honest perspective, especially in regard to your own needs. Develop friendships and social interactions with other people, making sure you are not sacrificing your own quality of life in your efforts to deal with your son.

Your son may need Dialectical-Behavior therapy (DBT) or Psychodynamic therapy.
I conducted research on therapists specializing in BPD in your city.

1. Dr. Jason Seidel, Psychologist , PsyD
The Colorado Center for Clinical Excellence
1720 S. Bellaire St.
Ste. 204
Denver, Colorado 80222

Contact Information
phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNEmail

2. Dr. Sandy Novak, Marriage & Family Therapist , PhD
Boulder Transformational Therapy
1480 Lee Hill Dr
Boulder, Colorado 80304

Contact Information
phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

3. Dr. Kathleen D Robinson, Psychologist , PsyD
1720 S Bellaire Street
Suite 203
Denver, Colorado 80222

Contact Information
phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

4. Dr. Rebecca I Howard, Counselor , PsyD , LPC
Dr. Rebecca I. Howard, PsyD, LLC
609 W. Littleton Blvd
Suite 303
Littleton, Colorado 80120

Contact Information
phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

5. Dr. Peter Solon, Psychologist , PhD
Peter Solon, Ph.D. XXXXX
Suite 100
Boulder, Colorado 80303

Contact Information
phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

You and your son may decide which therapist your son works with after meeting or talking with them.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any.

P.S. Please remember to click the green accept button. You do NOT get charged the fee twice. Feel free to continue the discussion even after you press the accept button; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. Warm regards,

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi there, If you are satisfied with my answer, please click the green accept button so I can get paid for my time and work. Please not hesitate to post any question or response.

Related Mental Health Questions