Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
14727623

How to heal from Narcissistic Abuse?

Customer Question

How to heal from Narcissistic Abuse ?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
Is there a specific question I can assist you with?
Please let me know by clicking on "Reply" and I will then craft my response. You are not charged until you receive a satisfying answer.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How to heal from Narcissistic Abuse? I have been in a relationship for over 4 years and have experienced the withdrawal, devaluing and discarding that comes along with this behavior.. At the slightest disagreement my partner withdraws from me for months at a time and will not communicate with me until he is ready... He ignores all my attempts to communicate which leaves me feeling like I do not have a voice and my feelings are of no concern to him.. I ask him if he wants me to move on and if he has moved on... He never responds. Sometimes it can takes months... Why do they behave in this manner? And what is the best way to respond to this withdrawal?
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for clarification. I have to leave online. Let me open this question to other experts online. Please wait...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How to heal from Narcisstic Abuse? I have been in a relationshop for over 4 years and have experienced the withdrawal, devaluing and discarding that comes along with this behavior. At the slightest disagreement my partner withdraws from me for months at a time and will not communicate with me until he is ready.. Hew ignores all my attempts to communicate which leaves me felling like I do not have a voice and my feelings are of no concern to him. Why do they behave in this manner? And waht is the best way to respond to his withdrawal?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Norman M. replied 6 years ago.

These (as you now know) are some of the most toxic relationships possible, and because of the manipulation and self interest you have had to contend with (if indeed he is narcissistic) are going to be difficult to get over.

You may have to consider if this relationship is worth the pain it causes you – in short, is it time to get out.

You will find some real help here:

http://narcissism-support.blogspot.com/2009/01/surviving-emotional-abuse.html

Additionally, I’m going to suggest that you would benefit greatly from a course of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It is a form of therapy that addresses problems in a direct and targeted way and is brief compared with most other therapies.

It will help you come to terms with and deal with the feelings and emotions that you are having to deal with right now, and when he withdraws from you.

CBT is based on the fact that what we think in any given situation generates beliefs about, and reactions to that situation, and also cause the behaviour and feelings which flow from those beliefs and reactions.

These ‘automatic thoughts’ are so fast that generally, we are unaware that we have even had them. We call them ANTS (automatic negative thoughts) for short.

If the pattern of thinking we use, or our beliefs about our situation are even slightly distorted,

the resulting emotions and actions that flow from them can be extremely negative and unhelpful. The object of CBT is to identify these ‘automatic thoughts’ then to re-adjust our thoughts and beliefs so that they are entirely realistic and correspond to the realities of our lives, and that therefore, the resulting emotions, feelings and actions we have will be more useful and helpful.

Cognitive therapists do not usually interpret or seek for unconscious motivations but bring cognitions and beliefs into the current focus of attention and through guided discovery encourage clients to gently re-evaluate their thinking.

Therapy is not seen as something “done to” the client. CBT is not about trying to prove a client wrong and the therapist right, or getting into unhelpful debates. Through collaboration, questioning and re-evaluating their views, clients come to see for themselves that there are alternatives and that they can change.

Clients try things out in between therapy sessions, putting what has been learned into practice, learning how therapy translates into real life improvement.

Please visit this website for much more detailed information on CBT:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfoforall/treatments/cbt.aspx

If you cannot afford to see a therapist, there are good free CBT based self-help resources here:

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/cbtstep1.htm

Also, there is a book called ”Feeling good - the new mood therapy” by Dr. David Burns. It has a hand book which gives you practical exercises to work through and further instructions on how to better use CBT. I really do recommend it.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Workbook for Dummies By Rhena Branch, Rob Willson is also pretty good.

You may also find this book useful:

Surviving A Narcissist - The Path Forward Lisa E. Scott

Best wishes, NorrieM

Best wishes,

NormanM