How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kristin Your Own Question
Kristin, Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 454
Experience:  Licensed Mental Health Counselor. 11+ years specialist in mental health. Expertise and insight!
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Kristin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband suffers from counter-dependency. He lacks

Resolved Question:

My husband suffers from counter-dependency. He lacks empathy, remorse, is narcisistic at best, ***** ***** is ruled by ego and greed. We are on the brink of divorce, he wants inpatient care to get over childhood trauma and learn how to deal with stress. Is there any place you can recommend? he is 53 yrs old
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kristin replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Are you looking for a place in your area or are you willing to travel? Is he looking for a place to also address his alcohol abuse as often this needs to be addressed as well, so he is clean and sober while working through the childhood trauma.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

He can travel, we are in Florida, but he is willing to go anywhere. Recent counseling has brought up some childhood issues which has caused him to get a sense of loss, foggy, depressed. He has left home.

He is looking for a place to receive total psychiatric care to address his multiple issues. He can easily NOT drink, he just drinks to medicate. Something he cannot share with anyone happened to him as a child, he needs medication and counseling. We have been unable to accurate diagnosis or assistance in our area so as far as medication its been a hit or miss, prescription of the month without any basis. He is in a lot of mental pain and needs inpatient help.

Expert:  Kristin replied 6 years ago.

Okay, thank you for the additional information. These inpatient programs are all located in Florida, and address a variety of mental health issues, such as what you described.

This is an inpatient/residential program in South Florida:

Mayo Clinic is in Florida and has outpatient and inpatient programs.

This facility is in Hollywood, Florida and has an inpatient program which focuses on substance abuse and also other issues such as trauma (ptsd, post-traumatic stress disorder) and depression.

Here is another facility which looks like it would address the issues that your husband is experiencing:

Nova Southeastern University Community Mental Health Center
3301 College Avenue
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314
***-***-**** (main number)
Additional locations at Lauderdale Lakes and Coral Springs.
Director: Steven N. Gold, Ph.D.
Treatment: T, D Programs: OP Population: A, Ad (12-18), C (3-12)
Trauma Resolution Integration Program(###) ###-#### treats adult (18 and over) survivors of childhood sexual and physical abuse and single incident trauma.

Once you start making contact with these centers, they also can refer you (if need be) to places that you may want to look at as well. Best wishes to you...please click ACCEPT button for this answer, and feel free to continue discussion even after clicking accept. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for such a thorough answer. I didn't realize there were so many options. I will forward this information to my husband as he requested.

Thank you for your assistance,


Expert:  Kristin replied 6 years ago.

You are very welcome. Please do click on accept button so I'm credited for the answer I provided to you.

Best wishes...


Kristin and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions