Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My son is having serious anxiety issues. he is single 29 yrs

Customer Question
old where to begin...
my son is having serious anxiety issues. he is single 29 yrs old where to begin
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mental Health
5/31/2011
Mental Health Professional: Kristin, Mental Health Professional replied 6 years ago
Kristin
Kristin, Mental Health Professional

Hello and thank you for your question.

How long has your son been feeling this anxiety? What are his symptoms exactly and was there a situation or event that happened, that may have triggered the anxiety?

history of concussions from sports. has had mri's in the past. always has had a level of anxiety. now he's feeling overwhelmed. he's feeling nervous- he feels anxious an 8 out of 10 bad experience at last job- fired d/t problems concentrating, anxious about rejection w/ a new woman he just sterted seeing. went to his pcp. he gave him a script for lexapro. wants to try other means before a med

Okay thank you for the additional information. So, basically it sounds like the anxiety was always there to an extent and has now worsened due to some life stressors/situations. That would make sense for someone who is predisposed to anxiety to become more nervous when things go awry.

Lots of people do go ahead and try the medication route as it can allow that person to get the symptoms managed enough, so that the person can then be more successful with the other methods of managing the anxiety. So, a combination of meds/therapy can typically be a positive outcome. For now, the exercise is great, deep breathing where the breath gets down to the abdomen, meditation, and managing negative thoughts can help as well...

Here is an excellent workbook on anxiety that you can get on amazon.com and your son can start using it as a daily guide. It's very well known and has been widely recognized as useful and helpful for managing anxiety. This is what I would recommend he utilize on his own, and also if you could provide me with your zip code, I can send you a list of therapists in your area who also specialize in treating anxiety. Please click accept for this answer, and feel free to continue the discussion even after clicking accept. thank you.

http://www.amazon.com/Anxiety-Phobia-Workbook-Edmund-Bourne/dp/1572248912/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1306887260&sr=1-1

Kristin
Kristin, Mental Health Professional
please send a list of therapists zip code is 92663

Okay, here is a list of therapists in your zip code, also sorted by treating anxiety. You can further sort by insurance, etc. when you open the link. I wish you all the best. Thank you!

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_results.php?sid=1306888175.7532_2489&zipcode=92663&county=Orange&state=California&spec=3

Kristin
Kristin
Kristin, Mental Health Professional