How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5808
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has recently expressed needing to get help with

Resolved Question:

My husband has recently expressed needing to get help with his stress and anger issues. The moment he feels that a situation is not harmonious or that if someone disagrees with his opinion, he snaps. He is unable to let small things go and he becomes almost obsessive about resolving the problem at hand. He angers easily and his stress level took a physical manisfestation a few months ago when he landed a case of gastritis. We have a baby on the way and he really wants to get some better coping mechanisms before September. We have tried a psychcologist in the past, but he wasn't really able to help with the core issues. What type of professional do you think we should seek? A psychiatrist? A psychologist? We have no idea where to begin our search.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.


It is good that your husband is willing to get help. His willingness to see his behavior as a problem is a good sign that he will get better. Half the battle in therapy is having insight into your own behavior and the other half is the willingness to work to change it so he is off to a great start.


From your description, it sounds like your husband is feeling overwhelmed and out of control. A therapist can work with him to help him learn to relax (physically and mentally) and learn to let go of those things he cannot control.


Your husband can see any therapist that has either a Master's degree or a Ph.D. A Master's level therapist will have either M.Ed, MA, MSW or LSW after their names. Some have additional licenses, either national or state level. The type of degree tells you what the therapist is trained in. For example, I have a M.Ed which is a Master's in Counseling. An MA has a Master's in psychology theory and a MSW/LSW has a Master's in social work which is the study of family and social systems. A PhD is someone who has a doctorate in those fields, mostly counseling and education.

A psychiatrist is a medical doctor that specializes in mental health related medications. Unless your husband is having trouble with his daily activities and his feelings are too overwhelming for him to cope, he most likely does not need medication. The therapist can evaluate him and they can discuss whether medications are needed and if so, what kind may work for him.


It is common to see a few therapists before you settle on one you feel will help. Finding a therapist you can work with is much like finding a good family doctor, it takes a few tries until you are happy and feel there is good communication. Here is a link to help give you tips on how to find a good therapist:


Also, you can ask around for recommendations. Ask your family doctor for a referral. Or, if you attend church, pastors are often good sources for referrals. You can also search through this site:


The more information you have, the better your chances of finding the right therapist the first time you try.


I hope this helps,


TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions