Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

How do I know for sure my 27 year old son has cyclothymia?

5/22/2011
AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
What makes you think he has cyclothymia?
For the last 8 years he has broken up with and gone back to his ex, About every 2 months or so he makes a life change. For example, he goes back to his ex-wife and is all fired up about making it work and then two months later, hates her guts and throws her out of the apartment. He can't seem to settle on anything to study in college. The last class he took, he did well in until it was time to take the national exam. He studied hard for two solid weeks and then just abruptly stopped studying. Three or four weeks later, he took the exam, told us he felt really good about it and promptly failed it miserably. Right now he is "engaged" to an old girlfriend he barel knows. When life is going well, he is happy, positive, and a joy to be around. But when his life is going sor, he is negative, grumpy, and rebelious. Right now he is happy because of the new girlfriend. so we get to see a happy son. He s taking his own daughter to hang out with. That has been going on for about a month now. the model dad, son, and ...Next month, all will be sour. The girl will be gone, and he will sit in his room, play video games, and not come participate. His sleep hbits are backwards. He stays up on his computer gamng until 2am ad then works all day. By 9pm after his daughter goes to sleep, he is on the game again. right now he isn't because he is talking to his new girl. but if she wasn't in the picture, gaming would be.
OK - Thanks for reaching out to me here at Just Answer. You must be hurting and wanting your son to get comfortable in his life and find happiness.
It's possible that he has cyclothymia and it's possible that he doesn't based on what you have presented here. It's also possible that he has something else, like bipolar 1 or adult ADHD among other things (again based on what you have presented here).
It's also possible that he wouldn't meet the criteria to be diagnosed with any disorder in the DSM-IV.
I would suggest that you take him to a Licensed Professional Counselor who can administer some assessments and conduct a proper interview with him to determine if he meets the criteria for diagnosis. That really is the only way to know for sure. There is no way anyone could diagnose him in this forum of course, but it seems that it would be helpful to know for sure what you are up against in order for him to move forward.
How am I doing so far?

That's the problem. He refuses to go. He says there is nothing wrong with him. He went to a psychiatrist once who told him he has dysthymia. He put him on an antidepressant, but he didn't like it because it changed his libido. Our md here put him on ADD meds (non-narcotic) and we saw a bit of a change in him. He seemed more focused. However, the doctor ran out of samples and because our son has no insurance, he couldn't afford the meds. We have a history of mental illnes in my family. My grandmother had to have "mood builders" as an elderly and all of her sisters were reclusive in their depression. For example: my great aunt found out her husband was cheating and she promptly went to bed and never left the house again for years and years. My mother's sister is a hoarder-it is severe.

What do I need to do as a parent living with a son who needs at the very least a Licensed Professional Counselor? How do I go about finding one for him. Our family has been through so many counselors that were just not good fr us. About 8 different ones in ths small community and Houston.

OK.... I see that you posted that he refuses to go. In that case what good would it do to know that he has cyclothymia?
AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
I am his mother. I will need to understand the disease so I can help him in any way that I can.
This is a good point of course - however, there are many reasons that professionals attend school and get training in order do diagnose. It would be unethical of me to diagnose him in this forum and impossible for anyone to tell a family member how to do it.
Having said that, and given your situation, I would suggest that you research the possible disorders on a trusted site like WebMD and then see how to treat these. You can also get ahold of a copy of the DSM-IV. this will help you research possible disorders.
Now, here is the real answer and I think the best advise I can offer..... and just so you know, other clients have found this to be helpful. Since HE won't go to a therapist. YOU go - NOT because you have the issue, but because you are going to be dealing with it. Seek out a therapist and explain your situation just like you did here. The tell the therapist that you want him/her to take on the role of a relationship coach and coach you in ways you can deal with his "behaviors"
I hope this helps and I hope I've given you answers that you can use to make things better.
I wish you all the best and I hope you let me know how it goes.

It has. It was the confirmation i was looking for. I am already in the process of looking for a professional for me and the rest of our family. I just am not certain how to find one. There are so many out there who just don't cut it as a counselor. My plan is to look into my husband's insurance company first. Hopefully, we can get one this time who is serious about getting down ot the issue and helping us with real life answers.

Thank you and God bless.

God bless you as well - Let me know how it goes.
AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist