How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kristin Your Own Question
Kristin, Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 454
Experience:  Licensed Mental Health Counselor. 11+ years specialist in mental health. Expertise and insight!
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Kristin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 9 year old is acting out. He hits his head on the wall,

Customer Question

My 9 year old is acting out. He hits his head on the wall, will not talk and throws a fit when u ask him to simple things. He is an honor roll student and i am not sure what to do at this point.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kristin replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

How long has your son been action out like this? Has anything changed in his life at home, or at school, with friends etc? When you say he won't talk, do you mean he won't tell you what is wrong or he won't talk in general?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

He won't say what is bothering him. He lives with me and my mom. His grandfather died about a year and a half ago and i left his father about a month after my dads death because my son saw his father in bed with another woman. He has saw me broken and now i struggle to make a living. I am a long haul truck driver now and he is with my mom while i staighten out issues with my dads estate. Just complicated situation.

Expert:  Kristin replied 6 years ago.

Okay, I see, yes so much change and trauma even (his granddad dying and seeing his father in bed with another woman) has happened to him in the last 18 months. Now, he also doesn't get to see you as much, as you are out making a living. So, this is what is bothering him and who knows what else may be going on for him. It is complicated and in time, hopefully your son will adapt to these transitions. For now, I would definitely take him to a child psychologist who can provide that environment to allow him to open up and heal from these changes. Also, you may want to consider a reward system for him, such as make a chart and for each day or half/day etc for good behavior, he gets a small treat or a suprise etc. He has had losses in the last 18 months and so I would not "take away" things from him as punishment, but rather reward him and praise him when he does behave well, and so you can start small and reward even with a quarter or a special tv show, or treat etc and build on that....

If you tell me your zip code I can find you some therapists in your area who work with children...and send that to you here.

Kristin and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Kristin replied 6 years ago.

Okay thank you. So here is the link in blue for the therapists in your area and who also take any kind of insurance. They each one specialize in working with children. This could give you son the chance to express what he is feeling and get resources and tools to help him work through his feelings. I know it's difficult to see him acting out like this and you need support. You may also want to call his pediatrician and ask for any referrals they may have as well for a good therapist or counselor for your son. The good thing about kids is that when they are young, progress can be made do get the support you need. Best wishes.... Thank you...

link is below:

Related Mental Health Questions