How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5838
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 29 year old son, who has been cared for at home. He

Resolved Question:

I have a 29 year old son, who has been cared for at home. He is physically fit but has trouble with self regulating and attention. He has become more obsessed with anger and rage. He is depressed, mostly due to life not being what he wanted.
I do not have medical insurance for him, I am able to maintain his seizure medication and a every 2 years, his neurologist checks his blood levels and makes sure he isn't having seizures.
I tried to take him to Cherokee mental health after he began screaming, saying he saw my mother in his room, and he screamed to make her go away.
I have no disability for him, I have always just took care of him. Now, I know to get him help but have no idea how to do this, after all this time, is there even a way to get him help?
Please, if you can, help me.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

So I can help you the best way possible, I need to ask for more information.

What area of the US do you live in? Has your son been diagnosed with anything- mental health or learning disability? When was the last time he saw a therapist and what kind of therapist was it? Did the therapy help?

Thank you,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Miss McCoy,
I live in Knoxville Tn. When Rob was born he had hydrocephalus and he was premature. He later developed ADHD. He stayed in school, through the disabled childrens until he went to high school. He attended main stream classes and did graduate. After 18, my father died unexpectlantly of a heart attack. My parents more or less raised Rob, as I worked and they were retired. When Dad died, about a week or so later, Rob suffered a grand Mal seizure and was hospitalized. He began taking Dilantin and has remained on it. A few years ago, his neurologist said he saw "brain changes" on a scan and didn't want to take Rob off dilantin, though no major seizure had been seen.
He isn't too well at communicating, he will talk inaproperietly at times, cannot judge a situation, or danger too well, or how he is making someone feel uncomfortable. He isn't mean, he does pace constantly but his anger and frustration are out of control.
I took him to a therapist who was supposed to administer some tests but she didn't do it. On the surface, he is a sweet, nice boy and tries to hide that anything is wrong. She met with him about three times and released him, saying he was fine, she was there if he needed her. She felt he needed to follow up with an md.
Which is where we are at. He has no insurance, no money, no job. I work a simple job and my husband is on the road (truck driver)
I can't afford the scans, that I know he needs to find out what is wrong. I don't know if I can sign him up for disablility, without the scans. I cannot believe she released him.
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the information. It helps.

There should be a community mental health clinic near you. You can contact them, let them know your situation, and they should assist you in finding appropriate care for your son. If they cannot help you, they will know resources that can. They should provide you with information, including phone numbers, that you can use to help your son find help.

The community mental health center can also help you with finding funding and disability money for your son. They can either complete the work themselves, or find you resources so you can apply for financial help. Here is a link to the local center and some other resources to help you:

The therapist that saw your son does not sound like she completed the appropriate testing to find out what is going on with your son. You may need to have him seen by an Educational psychologist who can help diagnose your son's condition. Here is more information about educational psychologists and how to find one:

Be sure to sign releases to allow all of the professionals involved in your son's care to communicate with one another. That way, your son can have the best care possible.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help,


TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you