How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arundhati Your Own Question
Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 259
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Arundhati is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can be done for a family member who is having paranoid

Resolved Question:

What can be done for a family member who is having paranoid delusions (not diagnosed), has quit both of her jobs for reasons related to her delusions, and has retained a lawyer (her words, can not be confirmed) to sue parties involved in her delusions, but refuses to seek help and treatment for panic attacks brought on by her delusions?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Arundhati replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

Unfortunately, very little can be done for a person who is an adult and is not a threat to themselves or others.

One thing you could consider is convincing her to consult with her GP. You can contact her GP prior to that and express your concerns so that the GP can then refer her to a psychiatrist for further investigation. Even if she is reluctant to meet with her GP on her own, you could contact her GP and perhaps he can give her a call and ask her to come in for a regular check up?

I hope this was helpful.

Please do let me know if you have questions/thoughts.

Kind Regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately I had a feeling there was little else that could be done. She has seen her GP, because she thought she was having heart problems, when it was actually panic attacks. She is on medication for anxiety and the GP has suggested she see a psychiatrist, but she has refused her advice as well. I believe this all began 10 years ago as depression (again undiagnosed) and over the years a few delusions which we didn't see as delusions at the time because at the time they seemed reasonable, now it has spiraled out of control. So at what point can something be done if she continues to refuse to seek help? She will soon have no income and no place to live if she continues on this way. It will be hard for us, as her family, to allow her to get to that point and just watch, as we refuse to participate in going along with her delusions.
Expert:  Arundhati replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

I'm wondering if she would be open to talk therapy? Therapy can be a place for her to safely express her fears and the therapist in turn can keep a check on whether her condition is deteriorating and if it does the therapist can refer her for more intensive care. A therapist would also be helpful for connecting her to other community resources including government funded housing etc. should she get to a point where she has no income or place to live.
Arundhati and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you