psychlady
psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.
52358615

I think I may have anger management issues. In April alone I

I think I may have anger management issues. In April alone I smashed up my laptop because it froze, my printer because it wouldn't work properly and my DVD player because the remote broke. I don't always feel angry but my temper flares up very quickly and the only way I can get a 'release' is to actually break something, then I calm down just as quickly as I got angry. I'm worried because I'm running out of stuff and I really don't want to break this laptop, my TV or even something at work. I'm a medic in the British Army and currently work in a medical centre, I don't think many more patients will get away with being rude before I turn on a person.

I should probably add that I struggle to get to sleep and stay asleep too so went to the doctor thinking that tiredness was the cause, I have been on Zopiclone 7.5mg for a month. I get plenty of sleep now with no changes to my temper.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 6 years ago.

At least you have tried to isolate the problem. The rubber band method has a questionable success rate. It doesn't tend to work with high levels of anger. I would have suspected fatigue too but that has been addressed. Now that leave anger. There is a diagnosis in mental health called intermittent explosive disorder which is characterized by a failure to resist angry or aggressive impulses including destruction of property or conflict with other people. This seems to describe your situation perfectly. This disorder is treated on a consistent basis through outpatient therapy and/or medication. A therapist could work with you on how to manage impulsive thoughts so that you do not resort to destroying things. This has a high success rate. Find someone in your area familiar with this disorder.

If this has been helpful press accept