How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. G. Your Own Question
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1512
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can I do if my husband disagrees with me or underminds

Customer Question

What can I do if my husband disagrees with me or underminds me in front of our child? As a result, when I am asking my son to do something that he doesn't want to do, like go to bed, he wants daddy. My husband's father was not a good father so he is over the top with everything when it comes to my son including judgements on my behavior with our son and will correct me or compromise my position when I am trying to establish boundaries. What can I do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
You have a couple of options. 1) Let him handle all of the discipline and you take a back seat. 2) You tell him in no uncertain terms that his parenting skills are horrible and that you will now take control of all parenting decisions. 3) The two of you talk to a neutral person (i.e. pastor or therapist) and explain the situation and maybe he will get some understanding from a third party.