How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arundhati Your Own Question
Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 259
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Arundhati is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 41 year old male diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome,

This answer was rated:

I am a 41 year old male diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, NOS Depressive/ Anxiety and has Substance Abuse issues. My Tourette's is relatively mild and for the most part is maintained by a low dose of Orap, but it is all not as bad as it sounds.
My main issue are recurring thoughts, sometimes negative, sometimes that lead to ritualistic anti-social actions that alienate myself from others, further making socialization difficult. I have had great success with an Osteopathic Neurologist in the past, but it has worn off.
I guess my question is...finally.. ;) what would be some recommendations of courses of action to alleviate these rituals and finally get me off of most of the other medications I am taking. Since I am a Substance Abuser it is dangerous for me to dabble too much in pharmaceuticals. I live in the 32806 zip code. Thanks in advance for your help!

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

Given that you want to avoid medication, I think the most recommended course of action would be to engage in therapy, especially with a person specializing in anxiety disorders. On-going therapy can be very helpful in reducing the need for engaging in these rituals.

You can use this directory to find therapists in your zip code and then sort by their specialization (e.g. Anxiety Disorders).

I hope this was helpful.

Please do let me know if you have additional questions/thoughts.

Kind regards,

Arundhati and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions