How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Luann Your Own Question
Luann, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 158
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Luann is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can a person do when they have a Bi-Polar daughter 38

This answer was rated:

What can a person do when they have a Bi-Polar daughter 38 yrs. old who has never been diagnosed but is acting out and rages and threatening people has delusions and beleives things in her head that are not true are real. It is scary at times for me and her teenage children. She has no Ins. and can't work because she believes everyone is after her when she gets a job.
thank you , Linda

Luann :


Luann :

This is a very difficult situation. As you know, you can't make her do anything and if she doesn't have insurance, it limits her options even more. I recommend that you talk to a social worker in the social services department where your daughter lives. Each State and each County offers slightly different services. At minimum you should be able to talk to an Intake Worker and find out what resources are available to your daughter. If they have a social worker that works with mentally ill adults, ask to talk to that person. A couple of other resources could be helpful to you too - 1. United Way, they have a phone # XXXXX and website that provide people with social service and mental health resources. They will be able to tell you which agencies offer services on a sliding fee basis. 2. NAMI, national alliance for mental illness, They have a lot of information for people with a mental illness and for family members. They offer support groups for family members and you should be able to see if there is one near you on their website. While you can not make your daughter seek services, you can be aware of the services available so when she is in a crisis or is willing you can tell her what her choices are. Encourage her children to talk to a counselor at their school. The counselors should be able to be helpful and supportive the kids. Good luck to you, let me know if you have other questions.


Thank you I will try to find someone before she hurts herself or someone else.I have contacted some agencys but they can't help me if she doesn't go on her own . That is a big problem .

Luann and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
You are right, you can't make her accept services, but you can be armed with resources when a crisis hits and/or she becomes willing. Hang in there with her, she needs your love and support.