How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Luann Your Own Question
Luann, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 158
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Luann is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife was entered into a behavioral at St Marys hospital

Resolved Question:

My wife was entered into a behavioral ward at St Marys hospital this past Friday and Dr Skye said she would only be in there for one to two days to see what medication would work best for her and I visited the hospital ward and both she and I want her to switch hospitals because we feel she is very unsafe in this environment with the patients that are there. Do we have a right to put her in another facility and what will we need to do to get this accomplished?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 6 years ago.
Luann :


Luann :

I can understand you having concerns about your wife's care. Unless your wife is on a Medical Hold, she has every right to leave the facility. She will probably have to go throught the process of "leaving against medical advice". I strongly encourage you to talk with her treatment team at the hospital. Most hospital programs are short term in nature and no matter where she goes she will not stay long. Explore outpatient options, she will benefit most from these kind of programs. Ask about Partial Hospitalization and/or Day Treatment programs in your area. These are daily programs where the people go home at night. They tend to have much more programming, groups, classes, individual therapy, than an inpatient program. Get the team together and get an acceptable treatment plan in place. Good luck to you and your wife. Let me know if you have further questions.

Luann and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you