How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Luann Your Own Question
Luann, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 158
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Luann is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am desperate: I just found out that my 43-year-old

Resolved Question:

I am desperate: I just found out that my 43-year-old daughter (in Portland, OR) is far more disturbed than I ever imagined. She is being evicted from her apartment, and when her sister went over to help her move, found that she has been living in conditions of squalor and filth. To the point that a haz-mat team will need to be called in. Are there any resources to help us deal with such a situation? Older daughter has been diagnosed with ADD, but there is obviously more to it than this; through the years, we have bailed her out of financial crises, but as she never had us over to her apt., we were totally unaware of her terrible conditions.
She is working, but not eligible for health insurance until 1 May; not sure that's even true, given the misinformation she has been giving us. Thank you.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 6 years ago.
Luann :


Luann :

The situation you describe is certainly disturbing. There are several reasons your daughter could have let her apt get into such terrible condition. The first place to start with her would be a comprehsive psychological evaluation. Such an evaluation would give a diagnosis and treatment plan. Even without insurance, there should be resources available to her. Call the Social Service department where your daughter lives and ask to talk to an Intake worker. Describe your daughter's situation and needs and ask what resources are available through the county. Many agencies provide services on a sliding fee basis. Call United Way at 2-1-1 or go to their website,, they will list agencies that they provide funding for, they are all required to provide services on a sliding fee basis. Besides psychological help, your daughter may need help in keeping her new living space in good order. There are programs that provide training and support in housekeeping and independent living skills. These programs are typically through Public Health. Call the Public Health department in the County where your daughter resides to find out how they can be helpful. Your daughter is going to need a lot of help and support. The things I listed will be a starting point and will probably lead to other resources. You are going to need support too. If you have a group of friends and/or family that you can talk to and find support, great. But if you find you need more support than they can give, seek some therapy for yourself. This is a distressing situation and you may benefit from some professional help to process your own feelings and find healthy ways to cope. Good luck to you and let me know if you have further questions.


Thank you for your suggestions. I will start calling today, although probably no answer during weekend hours. The website you offered sounds promising, as does contacting the County services. Good luck is right...a miracle may be needed.

Luann and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you