How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5334
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 44 year old son has been thru very stressful times,

This answer was rated:

My 44 year old son has been thru very stressful times, housing, marriage financial. found out his wife was cheating on him. Seemed to have had a break down. He is here now.
He is very paranoid and sees and talks about seeing things. Devil, face of evil etc and talks about things that does not make sense. at first he believed many were out to get him. He does not seem depressed. And is a pretty happy personality for all hes going thru. He has been staying here for a month.
Took him to county mental health doctor , she put him on latuda. this was his first day on meds. first from what I have told you what do you think it is since he is married the dr will not tell us. second, how do you talk to some one when they say they see things. Do you disdissuade them or how should you react.
Thank you

Hi! I believe I can be of help with this issue.

First, let me say I can imagine how confusing and distressing this situation must be for you. You are clearly a loving and caring parent and what I am going to discuss is going to be difficult, but then, this past month has been even more difficult for you. I'm so sorry. Your son has had a psychotic break judging by what you have told me and the medication you have mentioned. Whether he has a full diagnosis of schizophrenia or a mood disorder with psychotic features I can't say. But either way, he is psychotic and the medication is meant to alleviate this symptom.

And this is actually the key to my answer to you that you need to consider and think about. The medication needs to be monitored. You need to be appointed his caretakers as he is separated from his wife. Therefore, you need to go back to the county doctor and discuss what she wants you to do. If she is considering him competent to make medical decisions for himself, then you need to get him to sign a medical release form with her so you can talk to her. If she is considering him mentally incompetent, then you need to be given power of attorney to make medical decisions for him. This you would do in court. You may not need an attorney if the wife does not protest. So ask the doctor after you tell her the situation.

But either way you must point out to the doctor that you need access to talk to her as you need to be able to monitor the effectiveness of treatment and report back so that adjustments can be made. She will understand. If you're flustered by all of this, print out my answer and take it with you as a framework to use in talking with the doctor. Okay?

I wish you the very best!

Please remember to click the green accept button. Feel free to continue the discussion; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, ***** *****

Dr. Mark and 2 other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you