How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arundhati Your Own Question
Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 259
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Arundhati is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 32 years old working mother. Was home on maternity

Customer Question

Hi, I am 32 years old working mother. Was home on maternity leave for 3 years as had a twins in 2007 and another baby in 2009. Since July 10 I work as a financial advisor, its quite stressful job and of course little children. Husband is a manager for financial services, for diferent company, but he can work from home and do his own diary so he spends more times with kids. Because of this stress, altough we had lovely marriage until recently, he thinks I am bipolar. two weeks ago we had a drinks with friends and one of the friend suggested it. When I have a drink I am very unhappy with him and we argue a lot, but I know why even though I had a drink, I still agree with myself in the morning. Its when I dont drink I get on with things and dont say anything. but sometimes I flip on him because he drives me crazy, but I dont think I am bipolar but could do with some advise. thanks K
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Arundhati replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

I'm sorry to hear what you are going through.

The Diagnostic Statistical Manual (DSM) is what is followed in the US to evaluate whether a person has a certain mental health disorder. You can look up the DSM criteria for the different types of Bipolar Disorder here and see if it resonates with you.

However, self-diagnosis is not really advisable or effective. In order to best determine whether you have bipolar it is best to schedule a psychiatric evaluation with a psychiatrist. The thorough assessment will carefully evaluate if you have any mental health disorders including bipolar.

That apart,from what you describe, it sounds like you currently have a lot of stressors in your life - the responsibility of looking after two small children, a stressful job, conflicts with your husband etc. which could be leading up to anxiety, irritability, and even a certain degree of depression. In order to best address this, you could consider therapy, if you are currently now in therapy. Working with a therapist will help you to learn different, more effective coping skills and strategies to address situations, and also help you get in touch with, and process your day to day feelings of stress, anger etc.

I hope this is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying questions/thoughts.

Kind Regards,