Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

i have went to my gp after experiencing what i think is a major

i have went to my gp after experiencing what i think is a major manic episode culminating in 2 separate occasions where my thoughts were racing and feeling like i was on the verge of something great. almost like i was Jesus or something. my doctor told me to stop drinking so much alcohol, both episodes came after stopping drinking for a day or so. i am not an alcoholic but i do want to drink beer a lot when i am at home.
my doctor told me he would get me vetted by the mental health team. that was last august and i've not had an appointment. I am starting to get very worried about my behavior and how my life seems to be going down hill fast. my wife is ready to leave me. i am anxious all the time and beer is the escape. should i not have had an appointment with some specialist by now ?
i should mention my sister suffers from manic depression and has been on medication for years.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. Your question is not closed until you are satisfied. I am happy to assist you with your question.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Yes, you clearly need to have a psychiatric evaluation to rule out bipolar disorder, especially since you appear to be medicating the anxiety with alcohol. You also have a positive family history for bipolar disorder. Racing thoughts, and delusions of grandeur also need to be evaluated.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Please make an appointment and insist on a referral immediately.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

You need to be placed on appropriate medication and you need to stop the drinking, which is only making things worse.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Best to you